• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Problem/Axle Wobble?

Jeeperz83

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 XJ Sport, 4.0 with a 2 inch lift. I am experiencing a serious death wobble when I tap the brakes at speeds greater than 40 mph. The front axle shakes violently from left to right and nearly causes a loss of control when braking at highway speeds. I have replaced both front rotors and pads with heavy duty peices as well as just taking it in for an alignment. The problem still persists and feels like it is getting worse. Braking at slow speeds is not a problem, the brakes apply evenly and feel smooth. I am at a loss for what the problem could be, the jeep only has 65k miles and all suspension parts look to be in good shape. During the recent alignment, only the toe-in was off a small amount. The lift I have on consists of front spacers, new shocks and rear spring packs made and installed by a local, reputable spring shop. You guys have any ideas or suggestions on what it could be?

have you crawled under there and inspected EVERY bushing and TRE?
DW is a complex creature, but most people can trace it back to worn components.
I'd start with the trackbar, including the frame side, and make sure that the bracket is not loose on the frame.
Then I'd move to the other bushings, and then I'd start looking for slop in a TRE somewhere.

Back