• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it normal that the drivers side of my XJ is .75-1 inch lower than the passenger?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
3.5 Rubicon Express SuperRide lift kit, New shocks, 89 HP30 front axle, and Brand new RE mono-tube shocks all the way around (about 2k miles on them).

I measured from the ground to the fender lip, from the ground to the tail light, and from the top of the tire to the fender lip just to be sure.

The drivers side is between .75 to 1 inch lower on the passenger side. Is that due to the extra weight on the drivers side? Extra tire/ steering components or do I have a problem?

I thought it looked alittle funny from a few feet back so I broke out the tape measure.

Its consistent though, the front is also just as low.

Any tips guys?

Re: Is it normal that the drivers side of my XJ is .75-1 inch lower than the passenger?

pretty common for that kind of stuff to happen. alot of factors to it.

more weight on one side with gear, driver, etc...

twist of the motor torque'ing on one spring more than the other, that kinda stuff.

Start with a front coil spacer on the low side, see if you can level it out.

Re: Is it normal that the drivers side of my XJ is .75-1 inch lower than the passenger?

also don't forget that it's probably only sagging 1/2 of what you measured. it's basically flexing. if one side goes up/down, the other side will do the opposite. so if you are sitting 1" lower on the passenger side, you probably are only sagging .5", and the driver side might have raised just a hair. let it settle for a bit, and make sure everything is seated properly, and that your swaybar/endlinks is level. i've seen very very tweaked swaybars make vehicles lean ever so slightly.

^Thanks guys!

I guess I cant just buy a single coil spacer huh?

Ill check all my links tomorrow. Its no affecting ride quality as far as I can tell. Just pisses me off, my GF thought I was nuts measuring like I was. She couldnt even tell.

Will the differnce hurt anything while I figure out what the problem is?

I have the same kit, except its the SuperFlex. I have full leaf packs. I noticed a tad bit of tilt as well.

:cheers: You'll have to look for a heavier girlfriend so its level while your driving... or maybe two smaller ones!!!

Last edited:

My jeep is the exact same
3" lift
1/2 lower on the driver side.

Just a thought fire away at me guys

If your track bar was not lengthened properly it would pull down on the driver side right??

Sorry sorry just a thought

i would almost think that it would push up the driver side if the trackbar was to short, since it would pull the axle further driver side. but that's just shooting off top of my head.

Plays for Jeeps:........don't worry about it to much. keep looking around and double/tripple checking. but if everything is fine, then i wouldn't worry about it to much. jeeps over time will lean to the passenger side due to torque fatique. it's also noticable on the TJ's. the TJ rough country lift coils actually have 2 different rear coils to compensate for the "torque lean". every vehicle has it's quirks that come with age. just like the "chevy lean" that you notice on older chevy trucks where the bed doesn't sit level anymore.

Have you done any flexing lately, and only on one side? I know when I got my 4.5 I flexed it out and my whole back end leaned to the right.

I had this same problem with my rustys 4.5" kit. I even went as far as swapping the front coils left to right, never fixed it. Then I realized that my track bar was WAY WRONG. Called him up, gave him a few measurements and PRESTO brand new custom track bar and issue resolved. Turns out the axle was WAY over to the drivers side by almost 2". So, check that your front axle is centered before you go using spacers and shtuff.

Just my .02

Brian

If the jeep is on any kind of incline sometimes they will lean because when the vehicle is resting againt the park mechanism in the tranny it will torque the motor over. To the drives side if downhill to the passenger side if trying to roll backwards. Sounds kinda crazy but push it back and forth in park and you can see what I am talking about. So when you park it to measure set the e-brake before putting it in park just to cover all the bases.

plays for jeeps:

Locojeeper had the same issue when he had Betty, he went as far as mixing the leaves in the packs and swaping coils, it fixed it for a while but I guess its back. It just sags on the driver side faster, more weight, driver in the vehicle more then passengers, torque....

Every XJ does it, my 01 is .25-.75 depending on how I was just using it. I wouldn't worry about it.

^So He tried everything I would have anyway.

I just wanted to make sure nothing was going on.

Thanks chugly.

don't forgot that the factory spare is on the drivers side too. providing you still have it.

Back