• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know its stupid question but....

Pogiboy

NAXJA Forum User
I have no time on my hands to sort through posts and its been forever sense I have signed in. Sorry.

Gots the death wobble bad and going to sell very soon. I know my tie rod ends are shot. I think thats the cause. Steering box leaks a tad. It started this just a couple of weeks ago. Alignments stopped it the few times it happened in the past. Had another case of death wobble 2 hours after it was aligned today. Just wanted to know what else I could check while I replace the tie rod ends.

And if anybody is interested in an XJ in the DFW area give me a PM. Its runs great.

93 4x4 4 door
3 inch lift
30x 9.50 BFG muds
194,000 miles

steering damper as well might be worth checking out. I just got a new OME for my 93 and I am hoping that helps some. Just poke around at the front-end and make sure everything is tight

Isn't the consensus that the steering stabilizer generally masks an existing issue, rather than being the culprit itself?

I would start by having a buddy turn the wheels from lock to lock while you watch the steering and suspension systems for any play or unexpected movement. Replace whatever part has malfunctioned, and repeat.

It's a bit of a process, unfortunately, and generally, there's not a quick answer on this issue.

Increase the caster or king pin inclination angle. If this is too steep it will induce the wobble.

It's called head shake on a motorcycle and can be deadly, thru me off a GSXR at over 80mph and went end over end several times, thought I was going to die. Lucky to get lacerations on the back and a broken wrist.

This will sound crazy but make sure the wheel nuts are tight.

My best guess (as I had an fixed this problem last year) is the track bar. Went it went bad it gave me an instant death wobble like I never felt in a steering system before just after hitting a small chuck hole in the road. Got under the jeep and I could move the ball joint in the track bar with my hand. It went bad rather suddenly as I had replaced tie rods 2-3 months earlier and it was tight then. Lost it and the tie rods at around 230,000 miles. Most of the other front end parts make noises when turning the wheel when they go bad. and / or they give play in the steering wheel.

I have yet to do any lifts, so jeepnick may have a point too since yours is lifted.

JEEPNICK said:
Increase the caster or king pin inclination angle. If this is too steep it will induce the wobble.

It's called head shake on a motorcycle and can be deadly, thru me off a GSXR at over 80mph and went end over end several times, thought I was going to die. Lucky to get lacerations on the back and a broken wrist.

how do you adjust the caster on an XJ?

what i have seen is track bar and bracket make sure the bracket is tight i had a tomkien trac bar and drop down bracket it move to much went with re set and no issue most of time its a litle thing can cause a bunch of heads i sold a grand cherokee because i fault dw and gave up

Jess said:
how do you adjust the caster on an XJ?

With spacers in the adjuster pockets of the LCA mounts.

As far as what the cause of your DW is.....

I would start with the tie-rod ends, I cannot believe someone actually did an alignment with bad parts in place.

After that...check everything else.

Rev

I got the lifetime alignment at firestone. So its not that big of deal. But yeah, going to start with the tierod ends.

And I assume you can tell if your track bar is bad just by seeing if it moves?

Rev Den said:
With spacers in the adjuster pockets of the LCA mounts.

As far as what the cause of your DW is.....

I would start with the tie-rod ends, I cannot believe someone actually did an alignment with bad parts in place.

After that...check everything else.

Rev

Sorry-I was being sarcastic, since castor adjustment with stock arms is only acheived with shims or drop brackets.
My point would be if the DW just started, the castor should not be the problem, unless the bushings on the control arms are just now worn enough to give the suspension enough play to cause this. He probably does need some new lca's, but if it just started chances are, other than the bad tre's, his tires are badly out of balance (which may be caused by the loose tre's).

Back