• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Mountains

MongoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys. Some friends and myself were planning to take a camping/4x4 trip in a couple weeks and we were thinking about heading up to Calico for this. I know there are some easy trails and some not so easy trails but wanted to make sure we won't be bored out of our skulls or destroying our vehicles. We tend to do intermediate stuff that requires some work and thinking but doesnt have to high a pucker rating.

Those of you familiar with the anza area we have done Pinion Mountain Trail a couple times without damage or major incident.

Well have 4 trucks with us,

my 95 XJ with 4.5" lift 32" BFG ATs and Swaybar Discos.
an EB with around 4" of lift 33" BFG ATs front LSD and Rear Locker
a CJ5 with 30" (small but very capable truck with a very good driver)
and an old FJ with 2" of lift running 32s.

Of all the vehicles the FJ is the weakest link, the CJ makes up for its lack of lift and large tires with one big ass engine and a crazy driver.

Anyways I just wanna make sure this is a good spot for us to have some fun or find out if its gonna be a bit to intense.

Calico2a.jpg

The gatekeeper in Doran Canyon is pretty intense.

http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/2003/09/27/doran-entrance/

Odessa and Doran Canyons can be challenging.

Phillips Loop is moderate. Getting to the Wall St Overlook is moderate.

Mule Canyon is easy. Bismark Mine and overlook from the North are easy. Tin Can Alley is easy. Coyote Canyon is easy. Rainbow Canyon is easy.

Oooooh man that sounds fun! Will you guys be camping as in tent-pitching, or camping as in campground/bathrooms and water type thing. I like roughing it :). Anyhow, I'll keep an eye on the posts, I've never run up there!

I just went there yestarday with a friend. He was driving a FJ80 (land cruiser) with only larger tires. We made it out fine with little body damage :) My jeep is 3.5 inch with rocksliders and AT 31"s. I think you guys would do just fine in Doran and Odessa Canyon. Let me know the dates, i would love to take along... its my fav. off road spot.

We sometimes rough it deppending on the location, like when we go to truckhaven we like to drive way the hell out there and camp in the middle of no where. But in this instance I think were gonna wuss out and use the campgrounds. Enough people commin a long that arnt super into using shovels if you take my meaning.

I ordered some rock rails today from AJ and hopefully will get them in time for the trip, but well see how that pans out.

As it stands now I think were talking about driving out late friday night (the 30th) then offroading all saturday and camping again, more off roading sunday perhaps and then driving back to San Diego sunday night. I will bring it up with the boys, would certainly be cool to meet up with some other off roaders i think.

Last edited:
Sounds great i will keep an eye out for you.

Thanks for the info everyone. Just got home from the run to Calico. Unfortunatly I did not get to meet any fellow Naxja people out there, just wasnt in the cards it seems, but I did get to watch 4xSanta winch someone out of Gate Keeper. I then went down to say hi just in time to see him finish getting to the top of Gate Keeper.

Was a great trip, though we quickly discovered that Odessa is not going to happen with our rigs, couple parts that are just brutal. I did drive up to Gate Keeper and ended up climbing the first 10 feet or so in order to rescue a broken CJ. Got a nice big dent in my rocker panel for it too. Busted a tail light in lower Doran turning around because im a moron and didnt realise I was on a rock while trying to slowly inch up to the wall, then fell off the rock and was in the wall.

Also did the run from mule canyone up through the pass down into odessa which was really cool and did a little bit of upper odessa before finding a spot we couldnt pass. Then on the second day just goofed around but ended up deciding to go all the way through doran from the top since getting down the water falls is much easier than getting up them without lockers.

Anyways heres a couple pics, might post some more as I get them from other people. I was generaly way to busy driving to take pictures and didn't have a passenger. The first pic is of my friends bronco, but the view and the setup was so amazing I couldnt resist.

calico-01w.jpg

calico-02w.jpg

calico-03w.jpg

Last edited:
We didn't get to gatekeeper until after 2 of the 3 Cherokees had made it up, but we got to watch the 3rd one make it up. Everyone was talking about the problems the Wranglers were having.

We ran Phillips Loop uphill and Doran downhill and we had a blast.

IMG_0874a.jpg

All my pics can be seen at
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/FishPOET/Calico/

it ate the wranglers bad but santa and i made it no prob. ill post some pics in a bit.//Kevin

Looks like a fun trip.. It's a good thing that you didn't get stuck and needed your tow stap.. Your tow stap looks good sitting in the back of my XJ.. :D

Elias

is there evera weekend santa isnt wheelin?

santa man dont get burnt out before my rigs put back together cause remember we gotta stick together bein the only dudes running the same parts and all...lol

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
is there evera weekend santa isnt wheelin?

santa man dont get burnt out before my rigs put back together cause remember we gotta stick together bein the only dudes running the same parts and all...lol
Burnt out not ever going to be a problem,why do we have toys(To use um!) The 3 XJ's were the only ones to make Gatekeeper this weekend with a shorty and a new unlimited distroying themselves and getting pulled back.

Back