• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ blinkers

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
They work, then they don't work, then they work, then they don't work.

Its not from bouncing around because it does it just sitting there with the engine off.

I don't believe it to be a short or wireing prioblem.

The blinkers get "stuck" in the off position of the relay.

Where is the relay? I can hear it in the dash but I can not locate it!!!

The blinkers are controled by the ECU are they not?

So it would only make sense that the relay is bad...

Thoughts? Location of the relay?:idea:

no they are controlled by a flasher it should be under the dash on the drivers side where the fuses are, not sure on your year thats where it is on my 89 and my 90. try and replace the flasher, could be shorting out? not sure then look up in the jeep parst book like chilton or something for the relay.. i will let you know if i found out anything. my 89 has a simalr problem. my fron turn signals went out and they dont flash anymore... it has new bulbs and new flasher so im still stuck on that one lol.
XJ GIRL

Ya go replace the flasher unit. I have bugs on my '99 as well. Every once and a while I'll put on my blinker and my hazards will go on. Or I'll put my hazards on and they won't come on for litterally 5 minutes, or the backs and not the front, or only one side will come one. I took the thing apart one time and cleaned it and it worked good for a while, (long enough for me to pass inspection) and now its funny again. I would just go grab another.

Did you check your blinker fluid though?

The flasher solenoid is behind the kick panel that it below the steering wheel. Take the plastic cover off, then the metal cover that is next, and you'll see a couple of solenoids. I don't recall which one it is, as I replaced mine almost two years ago because of the same issue. I believe it was towards the center right. My suggestion, once you have the panels off, turn the ignition on and turn the signals on and off (hopefully they'll work then) and you'll be able to hear which one it is.

When mine went out, mine would stop in the "on" position, yet my hazards still worked fine about 80% of the time. The flasher solenoid is only a couple of bucks at you favorite auto parts store.

Begster said:
I have bugs on my '99 as well. Every once and a while I'll put on my blinker and my hazards will go on.

When the hazard are coming on, are they registering as the hazards coming on according to the dash? And also, are they only coming on in the rear as hazards? If they are still registering as a left turn blinker on the dash, yet the hazards come on ONLY in the back, that's due to a bad turn signal switch....very common problem on the last generation XJ's. Had that happen with mine the day I bought it.

Ya its probably a bad switch, I'll need to replace it soon.

I turn my blinker on and my dash says my blinker, but I have heard over my CB or by a phone call when I have had people behind me if I meant to put my hazards on, or that my hazards came on when taking that turn. I haven't checked the front because I think I have only seen them happen myself once, as I'm driving it most of the time, but.

Begster said:
Ya its probably a bad switch, I'll need to replace it soon.

I turn my blinker on and my dash says my blinker, but I have heard over my CB or by a phone call when I have had people behind me if I meant to put my hazards on, or that my hazards came on when taking that turn. I haven't checked the front because I think I have only seen them happen myself once, as I'm driving it most of the time, but.

Thats definitely the switch then. They act normal in the front, and will throw the hazards in the rear....sometimes, others it will act normal.

I wish I could tell you how to go about replacing the switch, but I bought my Jeep from carmax, and it happened literally on my way home from picking it up the day I bought it. So needless to say it was fixed under warranty.

I have already taken the switch out and cleaned it up and then put it back in, its really not hard to do, its just not bothering me at the moment, I might get around to fixing it if I stop by a junkyard when I get home from college, but until then, I'm more concerned with passing, and building long arms/bumpers.

I was going to suggest the Blinker Fluid also. That and the Muffler Bearings seem to be the first things to go.
:doh:

Back