• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mixing motor/tranny mount materials

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in some Brown Dog motor mounts last night and I know I should probably change the transmission mount soon even though it's only ~one year old (or at least that's what I've always read and heard). My question is this, since the motor mounts are poly, should the tranny mount be so also? I've done some searching and saw comments by some about what they prefer (but not necessarily what should be done) and a couple by 5-90 that if one or more mount is hard, they all should be. I saw another thread in which someone machined his own aluminum (!!) bushings for very hard mounts. It seems that in the street/strip scene, they want everything to be poly, so that wasn't too much help.

Suggestions, please.

Whats critical is both side mounts are the same material, I would "think" you could just "get by" with the trans mount being made of softer rubber. Keep an eye on it, cause it would not surprise me at all that the trans mount tears, especially with 4WD stress. Then it would be time to upgrade to a poly mount at that point as well.

I installed Brown Dog motor mounts about 6 months ago. I still have the stock tranny/tc mount and pound on it pretty hard. Hasn't caused any problems yet. Not saying it's the best idea, just that it's working for me so far. I have a 1" tc drop.

jakec said:
I installed Brown Dog motor mounts about 6 months ago. I still have the stock tranny/tc mount and pound on it pretty hard. Hasn't caused any problems yet. Not saying it's the best idea, just that it's working for me so far. I have a 1" tc drop.
Manual or auto? I've read that manuals have fewer problems with mounts for some reason.
Just dropping my kids off this morning and driving to work, I could feel lots more vibrations. I don't mind too much (yet), but it got much more interesting when I turned on the defroster.

Back