• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STUPID QUESTION ABOUT INLINE 6

96GreenXJjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I want to repalce my lifters and all my valve train they are ticking and i cant rember if jeeps have access panels to remove them or can u just get them out by taking the head off any help would be graet

You have to remove the head to get the lifters out. On the 2.5L, which is very similar, they made it so you could get the lifters out without pulling the head. Go figure.

1. Remove the engine cylinder head cover.
  2. Remove the bridge and pivot assemblies and rocker arms by removing the capscrews at each bridge. Alternately loosen each capscrew, one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the bridges.
  3. Remove the push rods.
  4. Remove the tappets through the push rod openings in the cylinder block with a Hydraulic Valve Tappet Removal/Installation Tool Hydraulic Valve Tappet Removal - Installation Tool
Good Luck........

Gotta remove the head.....unless you have a hesco aluminum head....I love my 2.5!!!

Alacran said:
  1. Remove the engine cylinder head cover.
  2. Remove the bridge and pivot assemblies and rocker arms by removing the capscrews at each bridge. Alternately loosen each capscrew, one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the bridges.
  3. Remove the push rods.
  4. Remove the tappets through the push rod openings in the cylinder block with a Hydraulic Valve Tappet Removal/Installation Tool Hydraulic Valve Tappet Removal - Installation Tool
Good Luck........
So are you saying that the head doesn't have to be removed?

On the OE 6 cylinder, the head must come off to remove the lifters from their bores. They are trapped otherwise. Its a design serviceability problem, like the shared manifold gaskets.

Its true, you have to extract the head to get the lifters out, so when you have the head out, take it down to yer local machinist and have him bore them holes out to accept the lifters.:D

Back