• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ pannles and inside

alfredsxj

NAXJA Forum User
does any one know if the whole inside of a 97+ xj will fit or even bolt up to a 86 xj? how about the guage cluster? will that hook up to the old style?
thanks -alfred

alfredsxj said:
exactley. thank you fo rthe reply, do you know if the speedo and tac ect.will hook up to a 86 xj 2.5? thenks again
Well if you are going to the trouble of doing this, you might as well do the exact same thing that guy did. Go for the whole wiring harness, get a 4.0 engine, and get the dash. I have a 97+ center console and header panel/fenders on my 90 XJ and have thought about doing the dash but there are certain aspects of the newer dash I don't like as well. The tach will probably read reverse if you used the signal off the 86 2.5. The speedo is cable driven on your year and is electronic on 91-01 XJs so you'd have to put the newer engine brain for that anyway. If your 2.5 is fuel injected I guess you could get the computer from a 97+ 2.5 if you wanted to keep that engine. Like I said if you're set on doing it, do the whole thing. Your 86 should have the newer style engine bay because they were getting it ready for the 4.0, so it should set right in there.

Sell the XJ and invest in some English course's,even your profile sucks(fabracation)!

RCP Phx said:
Sell the XJ and invest in some English course's,even your profile sucks(fabracation)!

thank you for your worthwhile addition to this thread.

RCP Phx said:
Throwing random apostrophes up in there? Gotta be sure when you're ragging on someone you don't make typos.

RCP Phx said:

Unnecessary apostrophe between "course" and "s" - plurals don't get an apostrophe, posessives do. You're then missing a space after the next comma, right before "even," and then another space between "sucks" and "(fabracation)!" [sic] . Nice work.

To bring the thread back to sort of it's original purpose though, did I answer your question fairly well man?

alfredsxj said:
yea thanks, but i still have one question, my 2.5 is tbi, the newer ones are fuel injected right?

yes, the newer 2.5's have the multi port injection like the 4.0's

Back