• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Help PLEASE!!!

dannemec

NAXJA Forum User
Hey so i bought this 91 cherokee and it has a new motor in it that wasnt hooked up. I had to hook up everything and now that i did it when i turn the key the starter just clicks! it is a strong click and sounds like it has alot of power, i tried jumpstarting it and it still just clicked. It sounds like a woodpecker. I then pulled the starter and made sure everything was good and the starter worked perfectly. I put it back on and tried to start it and then i saw a big spark come from the starter. Still just clicking noises. It almost sounds like it wont mesh into gear and just hits agains the flywheel. Help me out please. Thanks A lot

how many wires did you hook up to the starter? I hope 2 1 direct from the battery and one from the wiring harness that is connected to the ignition switch...

There are 3 wires hooked up, the one from the battery, the one coming out of the starter, short black wire, then a little skinny wire to the smaller screw

Check the ground to the engine. Make sure the cable goes to a clean ground on the block. Make sure the engine & body are grounded. Make sure all cable connections are clean and tight (both positive & negative).

does the wire from the battery look bad? to test this theory you could use a pair of jumper cables in place of the battery cable and see if it starts..

i 2nd the ground to the motor it is possible to have just enough ground through the body to just activate the solenoid. there will be a stud sticking out that holds the oil dipstick that is also for the engine ground...

where is the ground wire that goes to the engine? because i have one from the battery and a skinny wire that goes to the skinny screw in the selonoid and then a black wire that comes out of the starter that i actually screwed onto the selonoid

the ground wire from the battery goes to the engine and to the body. there is also a braided ground at the rear of the motor up to the body.

Please make sure you can bar the motor over.

did you have to install the motor? was it stored outside after the motor change without a hood? possibly hydrolocked from fuel or water... try turning by hand without spark plugs..NAXJA

Yeah my boss told me that the motor did turn and it was kept outside in the winter for a while without it being ran. It did have a hood but it was a pretty cold winter. we tried to bypass the starter and we used this button that connected to the battery then it turned the starter. But when we took out the starter we hooked it up to a battery charger to test it and it was fine. All of the power windows and lights work fine with the battery but could the battery not be producing enough power to turn the motor over. It seems as the battery is fine but it has been sitting out of the car for a while.

it is a possibility but you still need to turn the motor over by hand to verify it is free. I would check the battery for voltage 12.30 volts minimum should be able to crank it over.

Could it be because of the torque converter bolts arent tight or in, i havnt checked that but i know you have to take those out to put in a new motor

or if one ground isnt hooked up like you said to the body or the engine could that be why it isnt getting enough power, althought i do not see any free wires for grounds

yes ...is the motor brand new or just new to the jeep? if it is a used motor was it from a manual trans jeep so possibly the pilot bearing could still be in the crank causing the locked condition with the torque converter

I would bet anything that motor is either locked up or bound up, let us now if you can turn it over by hand

Please, dude we to know if this motor turns over before we can help any further

Back