• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mean Green Goodies

ive got the mean green altanator.ive been runing it for 5 years now with no probs and it works well i run my sub 3 pairs of lights and a winch off my redtop batt..the alt seams to do a great job

Read here that they where not worth the money, if your looking for the ALT. cheaper solution would be to get a 130 amp zj ALT or have 5-90's buddy rebuild yours to a higher output.

i know nothing of the starters.

battery trays are ok.. spendy

Have thier alternator on my fiance's xj. Never had a problem with it, had it in pretty deep mud and water (deep for a stock xj that is) without problems. Amperage output is way overkill for her jeep, but that leaves room for future upgrades.
However the price is too steep, like aroncull said, I would look at the other options before buying another one of thier products.

xuv-this said:
oops. i was wrong and it was the alt. searched for ya' and found this:

heres a little secret: grand cherokees of similar (don't know exact) years used the same style alternator. if you buy a (cheaper than mean green) "performance alternator" all it is is the oem from a gc with a v8-around 130 amps or so(xj's are around 95 amps i think) since it won't run anyway, i would take it off, go to autozone, and tell them it is a later model gc, and buy the alternator that looks like yours.

from thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54336&highlight=grand+cherokee+alternator

read it another thread around here that i cannot find now...

isnt it the durango alt that is 136 amp i think you just have to file a lil or grind a tiny bit and it is bolt in.

I had not heard of 5-90 buddy do custom alts but would like to read that thread if it is handy.

I got a 160 amp unit in 2003 http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/jeep.html

it retails now for $210 i think i paid $185 - $195 in '03. The warranty was much better than mean green which had a terrible warranty a few years ago.

I've heard good reports from the field on Mean Green, but I find them terribly spendy. If cost is somewhat of an object for you, go to my site and click the "San Jose Generator" link. I've been using him for years on industrial equipment, my personal vehicles, and vehicles that belong to friends that I also repair, and Rod's units work quite well - which is why I talked him into doing mail order a while ago. Several people here have ordered from him without incident.

Current pricing is up on the page. There is also an alternator ID guide (with pix, that should work - I need to fix a few things, but I've lost track of what at the moment...) so you know which unit you have. Typically, the RENIX 4.0 and 2.46 have the Delco CS, I think the 2.8 comes with the Delco SI, and the 1991-up XJ comes with the Nippondenso. Output ratings are also listed on the site.

If you have any questions about things, please contact Rod directly. I don't middleman for him - to keep prices down. Better all around that way.

aroncull said:
"http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/sjg.html" LOL he beat me!!!!

Dont know anything of the Durango Alt.....

That is also a possibility - I believe MadXJ has a writeup on their site, but I've always been a little leery of buying anything electrical at a boneyard. Unless I already planned on rebuilding it anyhow.

Just like engines and transmissions - I buy them as "cores," since the first thing I plan on doing is tearing them to bits when I get them home... I don't need a warranty, beyond warranting that the block or head isn't cracked, and that the crankshaft can be used. Nearly everything else gets replaced anyhow.

I have been running Mean Green Alt and Starter for about 1.5 years. Just 2 weeks ago I discovered that the starter had developed a dead spot. I contacted MG and they had me send it back. I have not got any reply about it yet though. I sure wish they would either contact me, send me my rebuilt or a replacement starter though. I am currently running a stocker just to get it running again.

The Alt is providing good power. I run electric fans and lots of other goodies alot and have yet to have a problem with it. So far so good.

I'll try and post up when and if I hear anything.

Today I received a package from Mean Green. I was sent what appears to be a new starter with my old clocking plate on it. There was no invoice for the warranty service just the stater in the box. I sure am glad they do stand behind there products. I will be using them solely unless I get sponsored by someone else!!

Back