• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys-steering box brace

I have the MORE steering brace on mine, but the principle is the same. It helps keep the leverage of larger tires and pushing against resistance (rocks, stumps, etc.) from directly forcing the pittman shaft end of the steering box side to side via the drag link. While a great idea and a necessity IMO for any XJ that sees trail time, I believe a frame doubler at the steering box is necessary as well. The uni-frame isn't very thick, and even with a cross-brace on the pittman shaft, the uni-frame will see increased stress, which will eventually lead to failure in the form of wallowed-out bolt holes, broken bolts, and frame cracks. If you have oversized tires and use your XJ off-road, I'd say the uni-frame steering box doubler is a must.

I have the Rusty's piece, but I have coupled that with my own frame braces (the uni frame protection mentioned above) I didn't notice any difference when installing either.
I have a 3/8" plate on the outside of the driver side frame, and same thing on the inside for the steering box mount, add that to the cross brace and I guess thats a pretty strong combo.

the box brace does add strength to help hold the steering box against the d/s ~frame-rail, but i wouldn't say it alone will keep the box from ripping the thin uni-frame rail,,
a c-rock brace or piece of plate as mentioned will help to insure to not tweak the ~frame..

i have the rusty's brace and some machined 3/8 plate on mine and no warpage on a very- harshly used rig on 35" tires..

**just be sure what-ever you use to reinforce the ~frame rail with to reinstall the steering box bolts with high-test locktight!!

I have it, and dont see any difference between the rusty's or any other make. I also run frame brackets inner and outer, with 35"s and am confident that the box wont rip off the frame.

i run it, agree all the clamp on's are the same.
I did rip the bottom steering box bolts out with it installed. That was on 35's and a full detroit.
I plated the frame rails, installed a ram, went to 38's and kept the steering box brace.

just installed mine... i have to make a plate to grab the steering box braces since my bumper grabs the open sleeve in the back and the 3 stock ones up front like a tow hook bracket... i felt like 50 dollars was a cheap protection and well worth the money... between the brace and the plate like people have said that should secure that area... you can also make or buy plates for the inside and jks and maybe one or two other companies make plates for the other side, passenger, to really stiffen up the fron section.

well worth the money and there is no difference between more or rustys when it comes to the brace... i had to drill one hole no biggie.

oh and did not feel any difference in steering

Back