• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust in lower corners of windshield

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey so I have this 91xj sport, and I've got major rust on that little squarish piece of sheetmetal at the lower corners of my windshield. It's not really rust on the fender, or on the hood, or on the area that goes across the front bottom part of the winshield with the holes in it. Just that little area. Is this piece replaceable? How, where to I get the part? How would a body shop fix it? Also have some rust spots on my roof, any ideas on how to nip them in the bud? I'm a novice at bodywork but do know how to weld. HELP?

Thanks! - TJ

The "cowl panel" is a welded in piece, not easy to replace. As long as there are no holes through it, sandblasting/ repainting is best fix. If the rust on the roof is along the front edge at the windshield moldings,you can almost bet this was caused by a careless glass installer. The knives they use to cut out the glass can scratch the paint in the window channel and if not properly primed before the new window is installed,will rust out over time. If let go long enough, the rust can get severe enough to expand and break the windshield

Ditto on the 'break the glass". My 91' with a pretty much great body has rust around the windshield and you can see where the rust has pushed against the glass to the point that it has discolored it, looks like an old windshield that is delaminating.
Find the source of the rust and fix it ASAP. If you must, take it to a body shop and get a guesstimate.
As soon as it gets warm enough to do some body work outdoors, I plan on having the glass company out and remove the old windshield and I'll fix the rust and the source of it, then have the glass co. come back out and install the new windshield.
We've already talked with the glass co. and they have no probs. doing this.
91' 4.0 AW4 231TC factory sunroof, only 100k on the clock, can't let this thing rust away.

Around Chicago, we usually pay about $65 to R&I a windshield (shop price). Just keep in mind there is always a chance that it can break in the process, and glass shops won't cover this for the R&I charge. Make sure you find a good glass guy to minimize this chance... and maybe get a price on new... just in case...

Thanks for the replies. First, the cowl piece is not a little rusted, its like half gone. Big hole. So it needs to be replaced. Should I look for a wreck at the junkyard and just hack one out of a wreck with a sawzall? Maybe a body shop could put in for me, I dont know. Second, yes there is rust around the windshield, its a bummer. And in a lot of spots on the roof, some with holes as big as a quarter. Dont want mine to rust away either, and I don't even have a sunroof- thats awesome! Although I am getting one pretty soon if I dont fix this rust.

- TJ

Back