• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HITCH HELP!

BlazerBuddy88

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings every one I am a first time jeep owner, Before i owned full size broncos and blazers but gas was killing me so I bought a jeep. I own a boat and trailer which was pulled by my blazer that i no longer have. Now the jeep is a 1987 Jeep cherokee pioneer 4x4 4 door 4.0L. I purchased a used hitch from a salvage yard and in the process of trying to install it I noticed that the hitch was hitting an exhust hanger as well as the fact that the support frame is completly boxed leaving no way to get a nut on a bolt. now i am missing something here is there a special way of doing it, or are these things not even capeabul of having a hitch mounted, or is it simply the wrong hitch. any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Do a search first. I think you will find what you are looking for. If you picked up a hitch from an XJ, there should not be a problem. But wait..... there is more and it is available through search!
Welcome to the site! It is full of info. When I first found it there were at the most 25 people on line at once, now there are 80 to 100. No doubt you will find what you are looking for!

Ditto, if theres something you havea a question about, its been asked/ discussed believe me. And yes you have to move the exhaust hanger nad you need the proper carrige bolts and devices to get them where they need to be.
good luck and welsome!

BTw, im on my second XJ. Once it gets in your blood,....its there for good

Just like SJX said searching helps a lot. most times you'll get your answer faster than posting and then waiting for the reply. That and the search Nazis won't hassle you! but to answer your question:

You're going to have to take your bumper off at the then of the frame you'll see a little hole that you need to put the nuts through and then into the holes. Yes I'm serious the easiest way to do it is to take some fishing line and put it in through the bottom of the frame and work it back to the hole at the back. Then, once you've got a hold of it, tie it securely (you don't want it to come off inside the frame!) to the bottom of the bolt and pull it through. You'll see what I mean. I just installed a hitch on my 98 and thats how I had to do it.

Eric

It sounds like you are new to unibody vehicles. Make sure you use a backing plate or nutstrip inside the frame rail to keep the bolts from pulling through.

thank you for the help guys i the hitch mounted now I can not find the connector for the trailer lights. I checked behind the spare tire but I didn`t find anything. if you any other place where they hide them let me know.

BlazerBuddy88 said:
thank you for the help guys i the hitch mounted now I can not find the connector for the trailer lights. I checked behind the spare tire but I didn`t find anything. if you any other place where they hide them let me know.

You will need to buy a harness and plug.
If you get a quick connect harness like Hoppy sells (which I recommend over splicing wires) it will connect inot the factory light harness behind the spare tire panel.

splicing isnt a bad alternative, just have to take your tailight hosings off to get at the wires. you will have to use an adapter to go from 3 wire (your jeep has seperate turns sigs) to 2 wire. like your boat, which i assume is a 4 flat...if not wire your jeep for 4 flat then get the 4 flat adapter to whichever you need. or just get the one that is xj specific, it should plug in the loom behind the trim behind the spare.

Back