• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well, crap. Broke cts off flush with the head.

JohnR

NAXJA Forum User
Yup. I grabbed a gauge-cluster from the junkyard for 40, grabbed the sensors, and got to work. Oil pressure sensor went without a hitch, used a small pipe wrench to snug it down with no leaks :) The cts on the otherhand, bah. I broke the top plastic peice off so I could drop in a 1/2" socket from the top, to make things easier since there isn't alot of room to work. Everything went fine until I moved the ratchet :looser:. Broke off even with the head, thankfully no leaks. Maybe I'm just lazy, but is there another coolant bung I can uncap and put this sensor into? What would be the best bet to get that cts out of the head? Take it to a machine shop and pray? Would they be able to extract it without charging >100?

if it is not leaking, you could put an aftermarket sensor in the heater hose and use an aftermarket gague.

If you think it even possibly could leak, you have to get it out. I would look on ebay or at the salvagge yard and get another head. That way you don't havve to worry about damaging the head during removal.

Jess said:
if it is not leaking, you could put an aftermarket sensor in the heater hose and use an aftermarket gague.

I did exactly the same thing. Went to do the gauge swap and the sensor ended up in the head, minus the threaded part...

What I've been planning to do, and haven't gotten around to yet, is to plumb a brass T-fitting with the proper thread for the sensor into the heater core lines. Run the factory sensor at a different location. It won't be as accurate, but it'll at least give you an idea of where the temp is at. I've sort of abandoned the idea at this point as I've now gone 3 years without the gauge, and I'm building a stroker motor on the side with all fresh sensors anyway...but it's worth considering IMO.

putting the sensor wont give you accurat readings think about if your driving and get a leak somewhere your water level drops below the sensor and no all your reading is air in a rubber hose if its in the head your reading the temp of the head... thats where your reading is important... now i will point out that i live where it gets to be 120+ degrees for about a month in the summer and well over 100 for the rest of it so i live in a different world

if the sender is in a heater hose, which is a high part of the system, with a leak the hose would go dry first. The air heats quicker than water and this should alert to a problem sooner.

Hmm, this is not worth pulling the head over. It broke off flush, but it's hollow in the middle for a good portion of the threads. I don't think I'd actually have to drill anything. Secondly, no chance of it leaking. All the threads are still engaged in the block. It gets to 115+ here with 80% humidity so I know where you come from xjpheonix. I guess I'll let it sit for a while, maybe try the ez-out route.

Back