• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED TO SOFTEN MY RIDE (leaf springs)

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
My 1994 yj has a Pro Crap 4in. lift that beats the living hell out of ya. To soften the ride ALOT, which leaves should i take out? Its got about 5 leaves in each pack. The main leaf and second leaf are about the same length, was thinking bout taking the second one out. any suggestions? I dont care about long life for the springs, will replace all together next winter.

evil dead said:
try shocks they make abigger difference than most people think
I disagree. I have been through 2 shock variations on my RE 3.5" lift to try to soften the ride. I went from Rubicon Express to Old Man Emu, the worst to the well 2nd best anyway, and it still rides stiff as hell. A stiff pack is a stiff pack. I'm thinking about removing a leaf too.

It is not so much the curve of the springs, but the number of leafs combined with the curve that gives you your lift. You start pullin leafs, you'll start losin inches. Unfurtunately, when you lift a leaf sprung vehicle, the comfort definately suffers. Also remember that you have removed the rear anti-sway bar. I have a 98 with a RE 3.5" and 31x10.50's. It is my DD. I can get into some pretty gnarly traffic too, traveling at highway speeds. To make up for the removal of the sway bar and the higher center of gravity, (I tow a trailer often too.) I've stiffened my rear end even further. I've added a set of helper springs and run wheels with 3 1/2" of back spacing. Yeah the rear end is stiff. You don't want to be in the back seat when goin over a parking lot speed bump. But it feel just as, if not more stable then it did before the lift.

But it is a Jeep. I don't think you will ever get it to ride like a Cadi, atleast not without substantial rollover risk. It only takes a little jerk of the wheel at highway speeds (with a soft spring pack and no rear sway bar), the rear of the vehicle leans too far over and well ..........I don't know of any Jeep that rides smoothly on it's roof......then wheels, then roof, then wheels ....... Not to mention that you will look lilke a fool havin to pick all of your gear up out of the road that came flyin out of what used to be your Jeep.

To soften up some of the bigger bumps, just lift your back off the seat. Just an inch or two will do. Try installing a suspended type seat.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my friend you talking about apples on a orange site. First Im gonna talk XJ, then Im gonna talk YJ

Somebody said something about once you have stiff springs, your gonna have stiff springs, normally I would have agreed, but this weekend I installed 1" TNT boomerangs on my STIFF 4.5" RE Leafs...The ride now is amazing. I fully believe the horrible ride was due to the highly arched springs, and nowhere for them to move with the stock shackles. I only gained about 1/4 of lift, and the springs are much flatter just sitting. However a shock designed specifically for a particular application is also important. I went from 4.5" RE coils to 5.5" RE coils and long arms on the same shocks, and it rode great with the smaller lift, then went directly to terrible on the taller springs...Ive got monotubes on the way to fix that.

Now check it, I've had 2 YJ's in the last 2 years that I installed 3.5" Dick Cepek lifts..check out why number 1 the ride stunk, and number 2 why the rear didnt flex.. I bought boomerangs for this particular jeep, but didnt get around to installing them, but I fully believe the little more action that the leaves would have seen....it would have helped. for $57 bucks, I'd say some RE boomerangs are a really cheap test...just my 2 cents though.

100_0075.jpg

green50gt said:
Somebody said something about once you have stiff springs, your gonna have stiff springs, normally I would have agreed, but this weekend I installed 1" TNT boomerangs on my STIFF 4.5" RE Leafs...The ride now is amazing. I fully believe the horrible ride was due to the highly arched springs, and nowhere for them to move with the stock shackles. I only gained about 1/4 of lift, and the springs are much flatter just sitting.
I'm glad to hear that and really when you say that, it does make sense. I think I will do it at that price and then if I like it, I'll get 4.5" coils for the front to level out the back. Thanks.

My jeep is so stiff i can corner fast and it doesnt tilt.. my rear sway bar is the least of my concern. Now, my question is which leaf should i take out to reduce the stiffness the most. Im running 33's so i need lift but i would be willing to get smaller tires ( 31's) for a better ride. Im not talking back to stock though.

You made a mess out of your YJ. Many do they just think it has to be that way and live the it. But yes you can have your lift and a fair ride to.

==========================
was thinking bout taking the second one out. any suggestions? I don't care about long life for the springs, will replace all together next winter.
=============================
Just do it and try it out. Keep a good eye on it and see how it goes. You have started down what can be a long road of trail and error. With error being the biggest part of it. Get use to the idea of being wrong and trying again. Or you can do just like everyone else. It may work but it will never be any better too. Big Luck to you.

TNT boomerangs

green50gt said:
installed 1" TNT boomerangs on my STIFF 4.5" RE Leafs...The ride now is amazing.

x2

yea my jeep rode like crap...i installed my 1.5 TnT boomerangs and now it rides like a caddy compared to before:lecture:

green50gt you dingdong. ya i read your input... you said use boomerangs. Thats all. only one person even addressed my damn question. please reread my question here

WHICH LEAF SHOULD I TAKE OUT TO SOFTEN THE RIDE THE MOST? DOES NOBODY KNOW?

I would assume nobody answered your question because nobody really agrees with your resolution...Trash your springs, I don't give a crap, I was simply trying to give you a IMO better solution..I sincerely wish you luck.

centralmax said:
No reason to get your panties in a bunch green 50 . People like you make this site not what it used to be.

N00B Fight!!!!!!!!!!:explosion

Back