• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jiggle the key to get the accessories.

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I have had this problem for a couple of days now. Sometimes when i start my jeep, the clock, radio, overhead console, fog lights, blower motor, blinkers, wipers dont come on. But the engine starts fine and the gauge cluster WORKS. I thought the cluster was wired to key ON like the rest of the accessories. I can wiggle the ignition while the engine is running and get them to come on, but sometimes i cant. It seems like something isnt making contact like it should. What could it be?

88 XJ 169,994 miles 4.0, aw4, no mods...

Thx for the help.

Any step by step instructions? This is a GM Saginaw Column without tilt.

My problem seems to get worse now, sometimes its hard to turn the cylinder, and im still loosing some contact. I cant believe it has lasted this long. Im up to 176k.

Thanks for any help.

the problem turning the cylinder could be the shift interlock cable---but the no power to accesories is probably the ignition switch.

Mine does not have the shift interlock. I just hope i dont have to remove the wheel and drop the column and all that jazz just to get to a 15 dollar ignition switch.

Back