• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 242 problem

I have been serching for this problem and can't find any posts on it after 34 pages sooooo ..... I have a 89 xj with the NP242 t-case ,my problem is when in 4x4 part time or full time it takes a while to get out after shifting into 2wd...sometimes i have to go into reverse then forward again to get it back in 2wd. Does anyone know what i can do to correct this problem other then getting a new t-case Thanks John

Is you Jeep new to you? If it hasn't seen much 4wd I find the 242 is real "sticky" and can get suck in Part-time for a length of time. Both of my Cherokees have done it when I bought it from someone whole only used 2wd. Just keep working it in and out, it should loosen up.

the tire pressure thing is true, and with my factory pos Al's my beads leak from the corrosion/oxidization. I have reseated the beads and they still leak. Mine will stick and this is the reason why, I find what works best for me is to remove all power away from the drivetrain while traveling 20km/h (13mph for you Yanks) shift it into Neutral and she will pop out of 4x4 with no problems

Mine does that too, I have a 2000 with a 242 and I think its just a normal thing. If I come off a trail I drive for a tiny bit and let off the gas and it usually clicks back into 2wd.

Gaius said:
Is you Jeep new to you? If it hasn't seen much 4wd I find the 242 is real "sticky" and can get suck in Part-time for a length of time. Both of my Cherokees have done it when I bought it from someone whole only used 2wd. Just keep working it in and out, it should loosen up.

Yea its new to me it was just a stock DD for a long time(280,000km).... Any idea how long it takes to "loosen" it up??

J-Roc said:
the tire pressure thing is true, and with my factory pos Al's my beads leak from the corrosion/oxidization. I have reseated the beads and they still leak. Mine will stick and this is the reason why, I find what works best for me is to remove all power away from the drivetrain while traveling 20km/h (13mph for you Yanks) shift it into Neutral and she will pop out of 4x4 with no problems

Sounds good to me i'll give it a try thanks

The owners manual says to let off the gas one or even two times to get it to shift from full time through part time into 2wd, (or the other way too).

I usually accelerate lightly when I move the lever to the new position then let off the gas. Sometimes it will jump straight to the proper range, sometimes I blip the gas a second time.

i found that if you are still rolling like 3 or 4 mph and put the tranny in nutreul then shift in to 2wd works perfect.

I had the same problem, haven't remembered to check it out yet, but my chevy has a 241 & it has switch I had to clean wondering if 242 has the same type of switch.

The real issue is that the gears need to be unloaded to shift. Letting of will allow that to happen. Best shifting is done in a straight line with the same tire pressure and let off easy. Doesn't matter what speed. You just have to give it enough unload time to shift.

I have shifted from 4High to 2 High at the bottom of a hill while climbing and not heard the shift until letting off at the crest of the hill.

I can shift mine in and out from 2wd to 4 part time to full time in high range at 50+ mph. It was real sticky at first so I lubed the linkage and shifted every time I drove it for a while and now all it takes is a blip or two on gas pedal at the most. I had the same problem with my other 242 case and the same thing fixed it. When you first are doing it either make sure the roads are wet or there is a gravel shoulder in case it sticks in part time for a while. Just keep shifting it and it will start working great.

Forshift in or out of low range I shift in neutral at about 1 mph or so for best results. Every once and a while if I'm in part time in high or low range on rocks for a long time I might have to backup some to relieve the driveline bind to get an easy shift.

In my vehicle 32psi in the front, 30psi in the rear, gives me almost identical circumference throughout all 4 tires. I think that's the idea, but identical tire-pressure won't give you uniform circumference, unless weight is spread proportionally.

Last edited:
I've found the same thing is true in every 242 I've driven. They like to hang between high range shifts and I've found the best way is to be rolling when you shift and in neutral. If I'm stopped I just get rolling at 5-10 and shift the tranny to neutral and then shift the transfer down to 2wd and then back to drive.

Exercising the 4wd does seem to help as well if it's been a while since it was used.

Later,
Joe

The binding happens often when you have turned one way more than the other. So if I think I have turned more left in the last few turns, I turn right and it pops out. The opposite also applies. ;)

Back