• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Transmission(s)?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I guess I am in the wrong continent to ask for this, but here goes: Which (manual) trannies were delivered with the 2.5 VM turbo diesel engine? Specifically 1994, but a complete overview would be nice!

I guess the NV3550 is ruled out regardless, since it wasn’t released until 2000?

You know which?

I've read that the AX-5 is weaker, but do you know exactly what separates one from the other?

It doesn't say anything about diesel engine specific trannies?

This is the same chart that is floating around on a series of websites. I think they intentionally lack an overview of diesel trannies, though.

AX5
• 5 speed manual
• manufactured by Aisin-Warner
• used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4

EDIT: Nevermind, see below

Last edited:
The search function is awesome!
aardvark4x4 said:
2.5 TD XJs were available as Sport and Limited in the UK (RHD) and Europe (LHD) from the early 1990s to the end of production. They were built in the US, though.
They were fitted with a 4 cylinder motor made by italian firm VM Motori (owned by Detroit Diesels)
It has an iron block and four seperate aluminum heads. Fuel system was Bosch, mechanical on pre 97 models and fly by wire on 97 onwards.
Transmission was manual only, AX15 up to '99 then NVT3550 after. Transfer case was 231 and axles were D30 front and D35 Trac-Loc rear.

5 speed manual made by New Venture
I think "T" was a typo.

NV3550 was introduced in 2000 in XJ (and MJs), maybe T is an identifier for a "T urbo diesel" bellhousing.

NXJ said:
They didn't produce MJ's in 2000. ;)
Oops! But they did pruduce turbo diesels.

Last edited:
Back