• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JEGS Catback

I have that system on my XJ (4.0L 1990). I like it. I still have the factory cat in place, so it's not super loud but has a good tone. It got a bit louder after it broke in some, but still sounds good and appears to be holding up pretty well. I'd say it's pretty comparable to the Dynomax system. I get just a little droning right at 65mph, but only at a certain load/RPM... it's not near as bad as I have experienced with chambered mufflers.

I went with the Dynomax from Summit for about the same price. Fit like a glove and has a good sound and nice stainless tip welded on.

I've got a Jeg's kit for my DD ZJ. The fit and finish was really good for such a cheap kit. I think they use a fairly cheap muffler as mine has a pretty "buzzy" resonance around 2000 rpm's (right about 70 mph on the freeway). Oh yeah, the ZJ kit is 3", despite what the tech services may say on the phone.....

are these bolt in catbacks?

I figure for I'd pay close to that much ordering a 2.5" taipipe from Rusty's. So, if I don't like how the muffler sounds, I can order a DynoMax or Flowmaster and end up not paying much more than if I just ordered Rusty's kit.

Am i reading that right? $90 for the XJ catback w/ muffler and tailpipe?

I was just about to order another kit from Rusty's ($150) since my last one lasted 6 years.

I have a flowmaster now and was looking to quiet it down...your happy with yours? Fit was good?

John B said:

I was just about to order another kit from Rusty's ($150) since my last one lasted 6 years.

I have a flowmaster now and was looking to quiet it down...your happy with yours? Fit was good?

Fit was good and it sounds decent, I think. It's not quiet by any means but is quieter than the Flowmaster 40 setups I have heard.

John B said:

If your tail pipe is in good shape, why not just get a 50series FM for less sound? No point in spending that much for a ful cat back if you only want to change the muffler.

The DynoMax is MUCH quieter than the FM. I run the DynoMax cat back from summitracing.com and it's only a tad louder than stock at idle and louder than stock at around 1500rpm, but nowhere near as loud or deep as a 40 or 50 series FM.

For those wondering, it now says 1993-2001 one the JEGS website for that system.

Also, I'm hoping it is safe to assume that this kit will come with the proper hangers included/attached to it?

balloo93 said:
If your tail pipe is in good shape, why not just get a 50series FM for less sound? No point in spending that much for a ful cat back if you only want to change the muffler.

The DynoMax is MUCH quieter than the FM. I run the DynoMax cat back from summitracing.com and it's only a tad louder than stock at idle and louder than stock at around 1500rpm, but nowhere near as loud or deep as a 40 or 50 series FM.

It's the tailpipe that didnt last on my Rusty's catback. To be fair, it lasted 6 years till the hanger tore off. I have the quieter of the 2 Flowmasters (50?), and it's showing corrosion.

I want something quiet so as not to alert wildlife out west this Sept...i'd like to have a chance at taking pics.

I'll look into the Dynomax, could always have a local muffler shop bend up a tailpipe. Recomend someone with a good price on the DynoMax?

So, I installed the kit this weekend.

Overall I am satisfied. It is definately louder and deeper, but not overwhelming or obnoxious at highway RPMs.

I'm going to see how it sounds after a header and hi-flow cat this summer and I may think about switching the muffler to a Flowmaster 50 or something, but I don't know.

For the $121 shipped, it's definately a good deal though.

Back