• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

nut n bolt problem

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
So my OME shocks get here today, I head over to the garage and begin installing them. I have BPE's front and back, and for the front I also have the upper pin (shaft) eliminater.
I put the fronts on, tightened up the nylock nuts as far as I can but now one is stuck. Seriously stuck, the one just will not tighten anymore, but I also can't take it off either. First off there is nothing to hold onto other than the shock (in the wheel well) for leverage, but with the torque I am putting on that I am worried about bending it.
On top there isn't much room either becuz of the brake setup there.
So I tried heating the nut, I can get another 1/8 of a turn either way from that, but thats it. Its silly but I have a 5' breaker bar on my socket, but am very worried about bending that shock.
So now what can I do?
All I can think of would be to cut the part off and be very pissed off, or maybe weld it into place from above and below.
Yes I will be contacting JKS to find out what they think.

Hm...

Had you still the upper shaft on the shock, I'd tell you that there are tools made to hold that "flattened oval" on top of the thing.

Second choice? Take a Dremel and a right-angle attachment, and cut through the nut most of the way - split it with a cold chisel.

Third choice? Check your local tool stores for a "nutbreaker," if you can get room there. A "nutbreaker" is a box frame with a screw ram and a wedge opposite, and it will split a stuck nut.

OK - found two styles, both at Sears...

It could look like this:

Or like this:

Either should work - it just depends on how much it sticks out over the nut.

this isn't for a stock shock nut tho, this is to fix the shock conversion from JKS. Sorry should have made that clearer in the first post, see pic
p_9601.jpg

well that big 1 1/4" nut is the one thats stuck on the bolt. The instructions tell you to thread the nylock nut once while in a vise, so as to make installing easier... I am wishing I had gotten rid of that nylock nut and used washers n normal nut. Thought of it, but figured they designed it this way for a reason... silly me.

If it comes down to it, I'll dremel it, and find one of those 'nutbreakers' (thanks I like that idea) and go with the washer and nut idea, that I should have done in the first place. I dislike nylocks.

Last edited:
OK - so you need to crack that top nut - the one that goes through the sheetmetal, right? A nutbreaker should still do that for you.

I've got one - and I can't tell you how many times it's saved me. Got it years ago, and I usually run across something where I need it when I'm just about to forget I've got it...

hi..just installed my jks conversion kit..i used a 1/2 impact and held the shock body to loosen the nut..just a thought ..good luck

Back