• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse box upgrade picture

LaredoJoe

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all:

My alternator recently went kaput, so I ordered another from Ebay.

I'm also upgrading my stock battery cables.

I haven't decided whether to make my own cables or buy a set, but I have decided to use a larger 100A fuse with a fuse box/holder.

Does anyone have a picture or link of what this mod looks like? I'm not exactly sure where to put the larger fuse-except on the start relay.

My alt is 105A, I have a moderate stereo/amp setup and may add some lights, but overall my Jeep's stock. Is the fuse/ fuse holder mod even necessary?

Thanks!

:flipoff:

There are a couple of pix on my site, and I do battery cable sets as well.

The fuse (I assuming you're using ANL, right) can mount handily on the passenger side fender liner near the battery, and the only thing "outside" the fuse is the alternator. You then run the other side of the fuse to the battery + terminal, or a distribution post if you've added one.

I use this setup with 180A delco alternators, and I've not had any trouble.

Link to my site is in my sig.

Thanks for the replay, 5-90.

I considered getting a higher-Amp aftermarket alternator, but I wasn't sure which model to go with. Also, I'm currently between jobs, so I ordered a reman 105A off Ebay for about $6 out of pocket (I had a $47 Paypal credit). Plus I didn't want to mess with swapping cases.

Anyway, the fuse I'm thinking about is a 100A Buss fuse (about $15)available at West Marine in Seattle. And the fuse box (if it's the correct model) is about $25.

I think I see how it works: The alt cable gets re-routed from the start relay to the new fuse & from the fuse back to the alternator. The fuse box/holder just makes for a cleaner setup. But does the fuse box hold more than the one new fuse?

I'm also thinking about replacing the firewall to block ribbon cable w/ 4 or 2 ga as well as adding a cable from the negative battery term to the frame.

Any thoughts on the sizes for those 2 cables?

Looks like I need to save for the 6-pc cable set, 2 brass terminals, the 100A fuse and fuse holder.

Thanks for the advice and I'm glad I stumbled onto your site and NAXJA.

LJ :repair:

Back