• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Noise Please Advise

XJNewbeeA&PMech

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to do a search before posting but was not getting a responce from the server.

The front end of my XJ, 95, makes this clunking noise mostly when I'm turning to the right. It almost sounds like a bad CV joint on a front wheel drive car when they go bad. Kind of like a clatter.

I though it was coming from the steering box but know I'm not sure. With the jeep not running if you move the steering wheel slightly to the left and right it will make a single clunk noise inside the box, but when driving it can sound like a bad CV joint. All the front end components are sound, tie rod ends, ball joints.

Has anyone heard of a steering box going bad and start making a clunking noise or could it be the front axal u joints?

It is 4 wheel drive and yes it does sound like a CV joint going bad but will the u-joint make noise without any power going to it? That is when its not in 4WD and just free wheeling. Its kind of weird it makes very little noise if I'm coasting through a turn and makes more noise when I step on the gas in the turn.

If it turns out to be the u-joints can you replace them or do you need to repalce the whole shaft? If you can replace them without replacing the shaft can it be done without removing the shaft from the differential? I just had them out about a month ago to replace a leaking shaft seal and would like to forgo it if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Back