• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've searched: rear TJ flair install

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked at a lot of write ups but can't find any that show what I'm looking for. I've done the cut and fold method in the rear fender now I'm looking to install the flair. I can't bolt it like the front, I've thought about useing sheet metel screw but I would think that would tear if I run something (tree) up the side. Any tips or photo's would be great thanks.

Well sorry the last guy was such a big help, Mr. Spell check must be bored.
I use Zip ties to hold my flairs on because they will break away before any bad dammage can be done.

It's OK I was able to find more with that, but still not what I'm looking for. See I think I screwed up when I folded under all the way around the fender now I don't have anything to drill through and bolt to, I go right in to the "Cab" of the jeep.

my YJ flares are bolted thru into the cab as you say. just take the plastic panel off for a bit, bolt them on and put the plastic back in place.

beakie said:
my YJ flares are bolted thru into the cab as you say. just take the plastic panel off for a bit, bolt them on and put the plastic back in place.

You see sometimes you have to step back and look at things differently. Here I am starring at the outside of my jeep thinking how the heck am I going to do this. Never even occurred to me to just bolt it from the inside. I'll take a look at this and see if it's possible in my situation.

I may however look into using zip ties or something that will break off instead of tearing the sheet metal like I think bolts would do.

Not a bad idea. Not sure how I would get a rivet gun under the flare from the outside and I think that the rivet would pull all the way back throught the flare from the inside.

Last edited:
I just used sheetmetal screws and I've hit them against things and they haven't ripped off yet. I would rather the flare rip off anddo as little damage as possible to the body so about 6 or 7 sheetmetal screws did the job for me and its pretty secure. What ever you do the ones on the part where the flare turns you want toget the screw as close to the corner as possible so they stay tight to the body

GermanXJ said:
Well sorry the last guy was such a big help, Mr. Spell check must be bored.
I use Zip ties to hold my flairs on because they will break away before any bad dammage can be done.

You'll also note that I did do a search for him and provided a link to a TJ flare install.
I did that because he was a paid member, just like me.
If you joined perhaps I'd be nice to you too, but in the meantime I'll simply point out that you're a freeloader and offered nothing relevant to the posters question.

I have mine bolted on and used a couple self tappers where I couldn't get to the bolts, and I rubbed mine hard against a tree on Saturday with no ill effects. The flare just warped and flexed, and popped back out once I was past. No sheetmetal warping or anything. Still a nice true fender.

Wel I dissagree with you manche. Just cause some are not members doesn't mean we haven't anything positive to add, advice wise. I love this forum and try to reply when I feel I have something productive to add. If I lived anywhere near where the midwest chapter guys hang out, Id be a member in a heartbeat and wheeling with them all the time. Untill than I guess I'm happy to be a freeloader and maybe learn more bout my xj.

after a while it will come off...you can try but be sure you use 3m double sided tape

This is for 87MANCHE
Hey jack ass I am in Germany because my family, and I serve my country, and you call me a freeloader. The next time you do anything our bill of rights gives you the ability to do you remember how much of a freeloader my wife, and I are. You may have the God givin right to call me a free loader, but that dosent make it the right thing to do. The NAXJA dosent have a chapter over here so why would I pay to join a club I cant activly participate in. People like you are the reason people in other countries hate us. I have seen it in Japan, Guam, Kosovo, Germany, Poland, Austria, France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Ugoslavia, Afganistan, Saipan, and Spain you open your mouth with out thinking or give any reguard for what other people may think about you. The day a person like you likes me is the day I will know I have become a dork.
So I ask, the next time you think you want to call me a freeloader, Dont.

Last edited:
texinteg said:
aluminum pop rivets. the break somewhat easily and are easy to sinstall. and reinstall.
Yea this would work, and if you put a washer on the rivet before you instal it it wont crack the plastic of the flare when it breaks away.

X2 w/ germany

I disagree on us nonmembers being freeloaders...simply for the fact that we have not joined, but we too give advice...for those that arent members all NAXJA is to us is an online forum...to the members it is a nation wide cherokee club...

One day (hopefully this summer) I hope to join, but if there is alot of this bashing of non-members who we would like to be apart of the club then I see no point in it...infact people like 87MANCHE make us non-members not want to join.

Remember you too were once a non-member.....NOW BACK TO TECH

Ease up.

He gave the link.

Geeze

Touchy arn't we.

As to the originol question...I used sheet metal screws in the back, with washers and 3M auto trim adhesive, after many encounters with trees, they are still just fine.
Rev

Last edited:
Back