• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing NP231

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

It turned out the transmission adapter I bought does not fit my floor jack, so I am wondering how difficult it would be to take NP231 out and put it back again without the adapter ? Just 2 hands, floor jack, couple of jack stands and everything is happening at a parking lot.

Thank you,
Andrey

Bummer. I usually use a floor jack when I've got to pull the transfer case - although you've seen my garage (which means you'll have more room on the deck to work with than I do...)

It's a little fiddly to balance, but it's doable - I don't usually have any help when I'm doing it...

5-90

5-90 said:
Bummer. I usually use a floor jack when I've got to pull the transfer case - although you've seen my garage (which means you'll have more room on the deck to work with than I do...)

It's a little fiddly to balance, but it's doable - I don't usually have any help when I'm doing it...

5-90

You told me you had an adapter just a couple of hours ago !
Do you use it, or do you save it for a special occasion ?

Andrey

Not an adapter, but an actual transmission jack. Would you like to borrow it? If you don't have a 1/2" drive ratchet, do let me know (since you need one as a "handle" for the thing.)

Think of it as a modified scissor jack with a saddle, and you've got the right idea.

5-90

"Work smarter, not harder." Just because the damn thing don't weigh much don't mean I want to wrestle it around overmuch.

Besides, the tranny jack also comes in handy on clutch jobs - since I can just slip the thing back a foot or so, change the clutch, and slip it back into place. Beats Hell out of an overhead press to get the thing lined up...

5-90

5-90 said:
Would you like to borrow it?
5-90

Thank you, I'll manage.

Andrey

5-90 said:
"Work smarter, not harder."

Physical excersize makes the whole thing more attractive for me.

Andrey

I'm a crippled up old man and I just grab it and stuff it in. The jack is too much hassle.

Back