• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont Start

TRB

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 XJ 4.0 6 cyl. On 3 ocassions it has refused to start. Each time it happend there was no spark from the coil wire. The first time after some time of trying to start, I decided to charge the battery since I had been cranking on it a lot. After charging it started, I also had the battery disconnected for a short time. The 2nd time it would not start I decided to change batteries with a newer battery I had even though the battery seem to be turning the engine plenty fast to start. It then started.The last time it happened I tried disconnecting the battery for several minutes, no help. I then tried connecting another battery with cables no help. The last thing I did was check all fuses by removing each and checking. No blown fuses but when I tried to crank it started and ran good all weekend. This jeep is at the deer lease so it doesnt get run much. This problem may have nothing to do with removing batteries or fuses. Anyone have any ideas?
Randy

I had that problem in my old jeep at very random points in time. Sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't... turned out to be my battery cables.

Replaced them and was good to go.

Try disconnecting the CPS at the connector near the rear of the engine. Each thing you did may have done virtually the same, and a disco/reconnect of that connector will probably make it go. It's a common problem and there are lots of posts here on it.

If your engine is cranking, it's not the cables or battery. It will start with just a little motion, but it needs a few revs.

When mine won't start, and the wife gets a terrified look on her face, I just wiggle the connector quickly and it starts. HOWEVER, I sometimes make it look like I did nothing under the hood, scratch my head, then kick the tire, smile, and start it right up if anyone is looking on...:wow:

Back