• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

click click click noise and squeek. And rear axle yoke play.

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So, noticeable at low speeds, and sometimes mid-speeds, i get a click click click or maybe clunk or knock however you wanna describe it, only on acceleration, not engine related as i can rev in neutral however much i want and can never replicate the noise. the speed of clunks seems to coincide with wheel speed. wheel bearings are brand spankin new. in conjunction with this is a squeek squeek squeek fast paced noise, itll happen on acceleration or when im on the gas or on the brakes slowing down. the squeek seems to be dependent on engine revs While driving, it cannot be replicated revving in neutral or even moving in neutral, the car has to be in drive.

the knock seems to get worse in reverse but im not sure.

also how much play should the rear axle yoke have on my d44? i removed the rear shaft to check it and i have a good 1/4" back and forth of just play(spinning it, not side to side motion) in the yoke on the 44.

I didn't really here a clunk but, to me it sounds like bearings. 1/4" of play is about what my D44 has when I spin it back and forth. But, if you have any movement side to side or up and down....it's too much. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give more insight. Chris

I'm thinking bad u-joints as well. The rep-rate on the squeak is around 4 squeaks per tire rotation which would point to the drive shaft or pinion bearing. SOme rotational play is normal. Side-die or in-out play of the yoke is not. Pull the rear shaft and check the u-joints. I'll bet one of them is real tight.

I just went through this. Even if there's no DS attached, if the front axle is rotating, it's likely your axle joints. Climb under there and wiggle your axle u-joints. Mine had nuthin' but play, I replaced them, now no play, no noise.

If you suspect your rear joints, same deal, if you have play, you got noise (and a potential problem). Time to get dirty.

HeavyMetal said:
heres a video i just went out and took to illustrate what im saying more effectively, small 2.3mb file, the squeek is obvious in the beginning and clunk is more towards the middle/end when i get in the jeep

http://www.jeepsource.org/willishardcore/squeekclunk.wmv

note: there is no front driveshaft present on jeep
Was your jeep in drive and rolling down the rode with you walking next to it. Thats kinda funny.:roflmao:

Does it also clunck when you put it in drive or reverse?? That would most likely be caused by the rear DS u-joints. Thats pretty loud so I would find out which one it is and change it asap

Sounds like dry u-joints to me.

BTW U-joints get tight before they get loose.

The clunk is because the play is a little much but not unreasonable for a D44 with high miles.

Last edited:
HeavyMetal said:
heres a video i just went out and took to illustrate what im saying more effectively, small 2.3mb file, the squeek is obvious in the beginning and clunk is more towards the middle/end when i get in the jeep

http://www.jeepsource.org/willishardcore/squeekclunk.wmv

note: there is no front driveshaft present on jeep
mine is doing the exact same thing now i think it's the rear driveshaft ujoints.
did you fix yours ?

Back