• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New used DD

bob13

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just joined the website. Figured I should since I bought a 96 xj for $700.00 bucks.:D And I'm sure I'll have a few ?'s about some things from time to time. It's in great shape no rust except for underneath. Has 142000 miles. 4.0 H.O. D35 and 8.25 combo. Runs great but as with any used vehicle I buy its getting a tune up. And a through inspection. Its going to be my DD. And to keep the wear and tear off of my 89 Grand Wagoneer.(my toy rollin on 33's):thumbup: I kind of like this littler Jeep. A lot easer to park. Who knows maybe this will be my next toy.

bob

Well first of all WELCOME!! THere are lots of guys up North in your neck of the woods.
Second $700? wow steal even if its rusted out completely the fact that it runs is great for the price!

Have fun!

Eric

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I thought it was a good deal too. It took me a month to finally get the guy to let me come look at it. I bought it from someone I work with and I knew what he wanted for it, so I had to keep quit about it till I got it from him. (didn't want someone to buy out from under me) You should here all of the "man I would have bought that for $1000 " comments. hehe

Anyway I've been doing the brakes on it and I can't get the rear drums off, so I've been soaking them in BP parts blaster. Might have to heat them up tho. They are rusted to the axle.

bob

Make sure you've backed off the star-adjuster. If the drums are well worn, you'll have a lip on the inside of the drum that will catch on the shoes, holding the drum on.

Steve

bob13 said:
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I thought it was a good deal too. It took me a month to finally get the guy to let me come look at it. I bought it from someone I work with and I knew what he wanted for it, so I had to keep quit about it till I got it from him. (didn't want someone to buy out from under me) You should here all of the "man I would have bought that for $1000 " comments. hehe

Anyway I've been doing the brakes on it and I can't get the rear drums off, so I've been soaking them in BP parts blaster. Might have to heat them up tho. They are rusted to the axle.

bob

Thanks 89xj that was a typo

Thanks Steve,I know about the star wheel. I was certified in brakes a few years ago and worked for a few small shops around my neck of the woods. I haven't touched the star wheel yet as the axle and drums are still stuck.So once I free them up I'll see if I need to adjust the star wheel (more than likely I will have to). Like you said theres probably a lip on the inside. The star wheel will need to be backed off if the drums move back and forth on the wheel studs and not come off. I'm just not to that point yet. I do appreciate the help tho.

bob

Back