• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Huge Driveline Problems

javajeep

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is a 1997 with SelecTrac.

Here is a little background. Basically, the Jeep has been driving great. The only thing that I noticed is that when shifting into gear (forward or reverse) there was often a loud clunk -- but, if drove great.

Today, my wife drove about 50 miles from home. Stopped to shop -- and when she started driving again -- it was bad and she called me to check it out. She drove it about 5 miles to her destination after it was acting up.

I went to test drive it. It drove perfect until about 30 miles per hour there was a sudden LOUD SCREECH that scared the ?!*& out me!! Then it started CLUNKING very loudly. It sounded like the whole drive train was going to fall out. It was clunking in both the front and the back. BIG LOUD VIBRATING CLUNKS!

As I said, we were 50 miles from home. So -- I had it towed to the closest shop who I don't know and don't trust.

Today is Sunday and I will be calling this shop tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas? What should I expect to hear from this shop tomorrow?

If anyone can give me any ideas about what to expect tomorrow, I would appreciate it greatly. I thought the whole tranny was shot, but after reading this thread -- it could be the transfer case (even though we seldom use 4wd) -- the ball joints -- the u-joints -- or the axle. Thanks for any feedback!

check your u-joints on the rear driveshaft thouroughly aldo also could be in the rear axle, possibly a squashed crush sleeve letting the gear slide back and forth ( If it is the crush sleeve now would be a good time for a u-bolt style yoke upgrade I think it comes with the sleeve)

Thanks, Jess and Trex. I am surprised by both of your responses. I hope that either of you are correct. I have been spending the last several hours counting my money for a new transmission and/or transfer case.

AN UPDATE

The mechanic called and said that something was wrong with the transfer case and he would not know what the problem was without opening up. So -- it is not known whether I need a new one or my old one can be fixed.

Something else he said that did not make sense was that when he put it in reverse, it was "rattling like crazy." Why would that be? I had not noticed that on my test drive of it.

It sounds like you lost the tcase chain.

Got the Jeep back today. Here is the diagnosis:

The "range fork" in the transfer case had been "worn out" I don't know why and can't elaborate any further, except that they showed it to me and it definitely had been ground down. I got a new range fork and bendix kit. Parts, labor, and supplies = $700.

The test drive seemed A-OK.

Any questions or advice?

javajeep said:
Got the Jeep back today. Here is the diagnosis:

The "range fork" in the transfer case had been "worn out" I don't know why and can't elaborate any further, except that they showed it to me and it definitely had been ground down. I got a new range fork and bendix kit. Parts, labor, and supplies = $700.

The test drive seemed A-OK.

Any questions or advice?

$700?
Better off doing it yourself or replacing the Tcase with junkyard part.
Of course some times there is no choise.

Back