• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep hatch will not open!

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
i recently went out to my jeep to get something out of the back and the hatch doesnt open. Has anyone had this happen to them before or do you have any suggestions?

Try the power unlock button?

Okay...Mine only has this problem if I am parked on uneven ground. Make sure you're not sitting with a tired on a rock/curb/etc. and try it again.

what year?
my 97 stopped working once, got progressively worse and worse until it just wouldn't.
ended up having to pull the plastic back from the inside (below the rear window) and reaching down to pull the mechanism open manually (you'll understand when you see it) and then re attaching the mech which was just a clip onto a pin which is pulled by the handle... you will see what I mean if/when you have to do it.

If I don't keep the latch clean, it does it on mine. Usually I just have to push in above the handle while opening and it pops open.

beakie said:
what year?
my 97 stopped working once, got progressively worse and worse until it just wouldn't.
ended up having to pull the plastic back from the inside (below the rear window) and reaching down to pull the mechanism open manually (you'll understand when you see it) and then re attaching the mech which was just a clip onto a pin which is pulled by the handle... you will see what I mean if/when you have to do it.

Ditto on my 2000. And while you've got the mechanism exposed, spray everything with white lithium grease while working it.

push down on the thing above the license plate, kinda put ur arm on it and lean down then try, this works for me as well as like 6 other people ive told, could work......

Ya I saw this happen to a 00 over the summer, then it happend to my a short time after that. Try pushing in on the door while trying to open the hatch. It was how I got mine to open once or twice. Then take off the plastic (really fun to try to do when the hatch is closed, and spray the mechanism down with Powerlube or WD-40. Once I sprayed it down, it hasn't given me a problem since.

This is not Non-Tech. Moving this to OEM Tech.

Back