• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

03 TJ engine to 98 XJ

doesn't the 98 have a distributor and the 03 have coil packs? reason why i ask this cause I dont know if the 03 engine block has the hole for the distributor.. ya know?

Dave, If this happens, it's coming out of my friends trashed Rubi, so I can have whatever I need. I just need to know if it will be a semi-direct swap or if it will take alot of custom work.

ddeadserious said:
Dave, If this happens, it's coming out of my friends trashed Rubi, so I can have whatever I need. I just need to know if it will be a semi-direct swap or if it will take alot of custom work.

While I'm not aware of the exact specifics in this swap, the first things I'd look at would be the following:

- Can the '03 motor bolt up to the transmission currently in the XJ?

- Would it be better to use the TJ computer and harness, or source one from a 2000-2001 XJ?

- Are the brackets and belt routing for the power steering, A/C, etc. the same on both vehicles? If not, would the TJ brackets cause clearance issues with the fan, radiator, etc.?

- Are the engine mounting points the same?

I'm going to guess that the answers to the first and last question above are 'yes', but I really have nothing firm to back that up. My gut feeling is that it would be easier to go with a 2000-2001 computer and harness than the TJ one, but again that's just speculation. Measure it out, see if it'll fit, then drop it in and see where you start running into issues assuming you can get it cheaply enough. Distributorless ignition is a good thing in my book, though, so I'm probably biased in this direction.

I think you would be ok if you got the computer and all corresponding wiring. the dash is just about the same between the two jeeps.

I have the coil pack engine in my 01 XJ if you want to look at it to compare with the stuff you now own, PM me if interested.

when I tried puttin a TJ water pump on my XJ for a quick fix it wouldn't fit the fan blades by. the pully is a little further ahead than ours and the fan blades couldn't pass, granted thats a good excuse to get rid of it and put elec fans instead.

take the long block, bolt your intake and accesories to it.
use your distributor.
The 4.0 block was not changed when they went distributorless, so you should be able to stab a distributor in it.
If you can't, then I would agree with Casm, find an 00-01 PCM, from a Jeep that had your transmission in it. The roblem with switching PCMs is that you may also get into other issues with the harness, guages and the TCU.
Of course, this is all conjecture, so don't take my word as an expert. I know they didn't change the block, but there may not be a gear to drive the distributor down there.

Back