• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My brake pads destroyed my knuckle mounting ledges

RockTracXJ

NAXJA Forum User
p3170005xo5.jpg

p3170001kw2.jpg

This seems somewhat common. I've seen suggestions to take it to a shop and have it welded and ground down. Has that worked well for people?

I have a 94, if I do try to find some junkyard knuckles will any year 91 and up work?

Lonestar said:
If you can get it welded properly, it should work.

I had to buy some knuckles a couple years ago for the dealer, they were only $35 each.

Really? I figured they'd be an arm and a leg. Or at least an arm. Maybe I'll just see about getting new ones then.

Mine looked exactly like that. I filled them in with a flux-core wire on my MIG welder, then ground them down smooth, and they work very well. Just make sure you dont grind down too far.

That's utterly ridiculous. I can't imagine welding that little spot would get the thing much more than warm. Crystallization of the whole thing or even a small area would involve getting it extremely hot for a while. Nah, I don't buy it, sorry.

langer1 said:
It's cast iron your not going to just weld that little spot.
I thought they were forged?

Anyway, welded mine several years ago with a mig...no trouble yet.

Well Shoot all 3 of my XJ,s have had those wear spots on the knuckles filled in(welded).I guess I,m driving a death trap--.Haven,t had any problems in over 200,000 miles.
Wayne

I think some of the replacement pads come with thin stamped steel rails that snap over the damaged area. Might be worth looking in a couple different brake pad boxes.

JJacobs said:
I think some of the replacement pads come with thin stamped steel rails that snap over the damaged area. Might be worth looking in a couple different brake pad boxes.
I think those are to protect the caliper slide surface during transport? The pads don't actually fit if the steel snaps are left in place. Never saw them before on the front, but my rear caliper brackets came with them installed and there was no way the pads were going to go on until the clips came off first. I know because I hammered the crap out of them to try to get them on before I realized what was wrong. :eek:

I have seen some pads that come with little clips to cover the worn spots. My son got a pair once. I'm not sure they would work with spots as bad as the ones shown, though, and I've never tried them (not needed yet).

Lonestar said:
If you can get it welded properly, it should work.

I had to buy some knuckles a couple years ago for the dealer, they were only $35 each.

Dealer quoted me $340. Each.

Yea, I've got the same thing on my XJ. I hadn't started the clean-up of the front brakes yet, but when I saw this thread, I thought I should check them out last night. I filed forever (to remove the rust), I did get the surface done to a sorta marble pattern of highs/lows smooth, but its still not milled flat surface. My lows spots aren't as bad as the picture, they are definitely there though, filing the mounting ledges cleaned them up some and I could see the depressions aren't as bad as they first looked, but they do need to be fixed.

I looked for some replacement Steering Knuckles online last night.

allchryslerparts.com (dealer that sells parts online at discount) has them for less than $230 a piece, not including shipping.

Qaudratec and 4X4 Discount, etc after market replacement for about $109-$119 a piece, not including shipping.

eBay aslo has them for $89-$109 a piece, not including shipping.

So what exactly do these little groves cause, I have minor impressions on my knuckles but don't really notice anything with the brakes. I see many of you have welded them and sounds like it would work and then there are others saying its a death trap, which is it? Kinda curious as i will be doing the repair whatever it may be in the future. Thanks Guys

Drew:rof:

truthchild said:
So what exactly do these little groves cause, I have minor impressions on my knuckles but don't really notice anything with the brakes. I see many of you have welded them and sounds like it would work and then there are others saying its a death trap, which is it? Kinda curious as i will be doing the repair whatever it may be in the future. Thanks Guys

Drew:rof:

Not groves, groove, Lol!

Those mounting ledges are really rails that the brake pads ride on. They take all the force of the brake pads trying to spin with the rotor as they clamp the rotor. The caliper is a floating caliper, meaning its just mounted on its own sliding rails/pins to fit over the pads and squeeze them like a vice, the caliper doesn't have to fight spinning with the rotor, the pads are on rails to counter that.

As the pad wear and become thinner, they have to move along that rail closer to the rotor so they can still make contact with the rotor, even though they are thinner. The caliper, having only one piston, has to also slide along its own rail/pins as the single piston extends to take up the difference of the thinner pads and pull the pads. This set up is far cheaper and more reliable, then other set-ups where you have to have multiple pistons on each side of the caliper to equally squeeze and move the pads and the caliper has to take up all the force/torque of wanting to spin with the rotor as it squeezes the rotor. The floating caliper has 1 piston, and its able to slide around over the top of the pads, which the pads are mounted solid on the rails around the rotor.

The interface between the pads and the rails doesn't seem to be ultra-precise, they don't fit that tight. So as long as the rail is straight and pad can slide along it without catching, it should work fine. Thats where the idea comes from, filling in those depressions/divots to make the rails straight again, so the pads can slide along without catching. But remember, a ton of force is put on those rails from the pad, just filling in those divots with JB Weld or some sort of epoxy, no matter how strong, is probably NOT going to work. What ever you use will likely just get pounded on, crack, break open and fall out, leaving behind the depressions/divots again, UNLESS, you use something as strong as the metal itself, like filling it in with a bead from a welder that you grind down to fit back into shape.

SO, if one of the pads is sitting in depressions or divots in the rail, how well is that pad going to want to slide out of the depression/divot and move down the rail to take up the wear of the thinning pad? The pad will probably stick there and eventually wear down enough it doesn't contact the rotor and not make much braking force at all, or maybe just one of the 2 pads will, but that would probably make a lot of vibration, etc.

Some people are a little cautious, because welding can effect the metal and create some brittleness or weak points from the heat. As well, since the steering knuckle is made of cast iron, already a brittle metal, they worry that welding on it will create some sort of problem that might cause something to crack or break. I'm far from a welding expert, but the arguments for welding up the spots make sense to me, the portion to be welded is pretty small, so its NOT going to get the rest of the rails hot out enough to cause any problem. I would think, the worst that would happen is something to the metal right next to the repair, that would weaken it somehow and you would get chips or small cracks in that area, which would only put you back to as bad as when you began. People that have used them for years after welding them up only re-enforces those opinions.

Last edited:
Good write-up! :thumbup:

Back