• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden Hitch Front Receive Hitch?

Pro Stock John

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_800_07.htm

I'm curious, does mount up pretty easy, and does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Do any of the front hitches from Hidden Hitch or Draw-Tite work in harmony with a factory style front hook setup?

Before anyone rushes in and suggests a front bumper like from JCR, let me see, I thought about it long and hard, and I think that custom front bumpers will greatly contribute to the possibillty of my city-parked XJ getting stolen.

Thoughts?

I don't think custom bumpers would greatly contribute to the possibility of your XJ getting stolen. To the general population, out custom steel bumpers aren't very pretty. People want the plastic crap that comes from the factory because it "looks good" that way. The only group of people who would see a bulky steel bumper and really see something in it is the scumbags in the offroading group and other scumbag cherokee owners.

If that's what's holding you back, I'd leave drop it. It's awesome to have th added comfort that, in an accident, you'll win due to the strength of your bumper.

I'm going to have to agree with John here, Anything that looks modified or expensive is going to contribute to theft appeal, hey you've got enough money for a nice bumper you've probly got a nice stereo going on inside it too.
But try looking up extankerguy, he had a hidden hitch in the front for a while. I just put a Hidden hitch on for the rear and it when on pretty nice. Really tight to the body too.

Aftermarket bumpers look awesome, and even better in back with a tire carrier, but at that point I can see my XJ getting stolen. The XJ is my replacement for my 95 Civic that was stolen in front of my house late last fall.

I installed a front hidden hitch on my 97 last month. All in all it wasn't too hard but definately more difficult than a rear install. You will have to drill the two front mounting holes through the unibody rails and it is a bear to get those two front bolts fished through. If your hands and arms are small enough you can get them through without having to remove the front bumper but its not easy. Also don't be temped to not put the front two bolts in, I heard a horror story from someone at WF that didn't put them in and ended up ripping the hitch off along with the front swaybar mounts.

I had to remove the center section of the front airdam, dont think you could trim it enough to make it fit with the hitch.

If I was to guess I would say this was a 1-2 hour job.

I had a hidden hitch on both my 85 and 96. Worked great until I installed it on my 96 without the two front bolts. I ripped off a control arm mount from the axle and had to ratchet strap the axle in place from the front hitch. Needless to say in moving forward against a rock the hitch bent straight down.
So make sure all bolts are used! The Drawtite is the better for clearence I found out. It is an easy install just takes more time than usual. Take the hooks off and sell them to pay for the hitch. You won't need both up front. HTH.

Kim

Pro Stock John said:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_800_07.htm

I'm curious, does mount up pretty easy, and does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Do any of the front hitches from Hidden Hitch or Draw-Tite work in harmony with a factory style front hook setup?

Before anyone rushes in and suggests a front bumper like from JCR, let me see, I thought about it long and hard, and I think that custom front bumpers will greatly contribute to the possibillty of my city-parked XJ getting stolen.

Thoughts?

My thoughts, I like a front receiver better than tow hooks and I like the DrawTite better than the Hidden Hithch. The DrwTite doesnt hang down as far. The DrawTite tucks up behind the plastic air dam for the most part. I doubt either one can be used in conjunction with factory style tow hook kits. The only reason you may want to use both would be if you mounted a winch in the receiver and needed addition tow points. The DrawTite has two metal loops that can be used as tow points, I know people have done it successfully. Im not sure if HiddenHitch has any other tow points built in.

Pro Stock John said:
Thx guys. So the Draw-Tite requires extra hole drilling?

Its been many years since I installed my DrwTite but I dont think I had to drill on my 96. The DrawTite uses the factory swaybar mounting holes and additional hole at the very front of the frame. In all, it mounts using 6 bolts (3 on the bottom of each frame rail). After looking at it, I think you probably could use most tow hook brackets in conjunction with the receiver hitch.
Heres a pic of mine installed and another pic of the hitch after I removed it and cleaned it up to sell.

DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0872.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I'll have to get some pics up of my friends hidden hitch we installed on his. It sits up just as tight as the drawtite so I don't see the difference?

Pro Stock John said:
Great pics! So Ray you just notched the front airdam then?

I cut a square hole in the center for the receiver snout. You also have to cut a slot on both sides of the square hole for those angled receiver reinforcement plates.

MoparManiac said:
I'm sorry but I'll have to get some pics up of my friends hidden hitch we installed on his. It sits up just as tight as the drawtite so I don't see the difference?

The HiddenHitch ones had the receiver tube mounted below the main hitch cross tube and not level with it, so the snout came out under the air dam. Maybe theyve changed their design, but thats the way they used to be.

Heres a pic of what I mean.http://www.quadratec.com/products/92011_800_07.htm

You will also need to drill two 1/2" holes,one in the end of each frame rail.
Draw-Tite owner here.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
You will also need to drill two 1/2" holes,one in the end of each frame rail.
Draw-Tite owner here.
Wayne

I didnt remember drilling the front holes, I had to go out and look at it. They do look like the holes I generally drill (all oval shaped). I installed my receiver probably 8 or 9 years ago, thats my excuse and Im sticking to it.:)

Back