• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch and roof rack interchangability

Sitting Bull

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks,

I'm going to head to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up some parts for my Jeep. While I'm there, I'm wondering if I can pick up a hitch. Will any XJ hitch bolt to my 97 XJ, or should I be looking for a specific year?

Also, I would like to get a few more of the stock roof rack "bows". Not the rails that mount to the roof, but the sliding members that mount to the rails (for tie down purposes, we go camping alot and have to put sleeping bags and such up there, a few more tie down spots would be very handy. Do I need to get them from a 97up xj, or will any of them work?

Thanks!!!

Sitting Bull said:
Hey folks,

I'm going to head to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up some parts for my Jeep. While I'm there, I'm wondering if I can pick up a hitch. Will any XJ hitch bolt to my 97 XJ, or should I be looking for a specific year?

Also, I would like to get a few more of the stock roof rack "bows". Not the rails that mount to the roof, but the sliding members that mount to the rails (for tie down purposes, we go camping alot and have to put sleeping bags and such up there, a few more tie down spots would be very handy. Do I need to get them from a 97up xj, or will any of them work?

Thanks!!!

Class 3 hitches (2" receiver) were the same throughout the XJ years.
Bows are not. You will need to get bows that fit your rack (97 and up).

Good info! Looking to do the exact same this afternoon! Funny, used the search feature... and this is within the last 15 hours!

I haven't measured the length, but it looks as if the bows from my 95 would fit the 99. The design is a little different, but the tracks are the same design except the later rails are shorter front to back. If you're multiplying bows, you might consider the earlier version of this type, because the shoe, or whatever you want to call the part that slides on the track, is a little shorter, so it should take up a little less space in the limited track length.

Back