• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle u-joints replaceable?

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
searched around and did not come up with a solid answer.there is no clips as i can see as with no collar or staps to unbolt. like to replace them while i'm doing the hub assembly.not sure if the year matters if i have to buy a whole new assembly but its a 93

no you just need the u-joints, NAPA, Autoparts I am sure your local mech store will have them in stock.
pound or cut the old ones out and pop in the new ones.

There are clips on the underside. You have to remove them they are half moon clips. Why are you replacing the joint? If it's not broken I would just leave it alone. Also if you have a 93 you have the 260 u-joints so if you're doing a hub replacement my as well just upgrade to the newer 297x u joint shafts.

forgot to tell ya i already did the drivers side hub last week just thought while i was messing around i might as well replace the joints

Buy the new u-joints, once you see the clips that come with them, and the position of the grooves in the caps,it will all make sense...

The clips are on the inside of the u-joint. Look under the ear on the back of the u-joint. You will see the clips. If I had the hubs off I'd do the same thing. Not only does it have the potenial to leave you stranded, but it can break off the ears of the shafts too. A piece of advice, Carry tools to pull hubs and pull the shaft before driving with a broken u-joint. It'll save you extra bucks. Make sure when you put the hub on to use anti seize. If not next time you pull it , it'll be another pain in the ass to get them off.
Though pulling shafts on the trail is a pain you won't be sorry you did it.

Back