• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ebrake light comes on in right hand turns...

bcsavage

NAXJA Forum User
can't really explain it any better than the title. It used to be on all the time so I pulled the console looking for the switch thinking it was mal-adjusted or what-have-you. Couldn't find a problem so I figured screw it, I'll live with it and put it back together. Been fine since (that was a few weeks ago) until a couple days ago when I noticed it was coming on in longer sweeping corners. Now it comes on anytime I turn right. I thought it might be the cables pulling but they are so slackened off (since I bought it they've been that way) that the ebrake don't work.

it's a 1990, No ABS. And I figured it out (partly). It's my center console. When in a right hand turn it wants to come towards me and something under/in it related to the ebrake is being tensioned or whatever to cause the light to come on. Figure it out while driving tonight. If I pull the thing towards me while stopped the light comes on too. Now that I know what's up it's bothering me less and less.

There is a switch at the base of the e-brake handle with the wiring running along the floor in the crook of the trans tunnel on the driver's side, to the back under the rear seat, where it meets the main wire harness for the body.

Seen lots of intermittent shorts that change with turning the vehicle, the forces shift stuff in the vehicle, ever so slightly, but its enough to tug on the wires and harness and effect the intermittent short.

Sounds like its the center console shifting that effects the short. Hopefully its the switch, because wire shorts can be a real pain to track down.

Fix your e-brake. Its 2 adjustments, adjust the rear drums, that is the first thing to go bad on drums, the adjusters, so you may need to repair the rear drums. Once the rear drums are properly adjusted, then you tighten the nut on the rod attached to the e-brake lever (its on the bottom of the vehicle, where the cables all meet) so that there is a little tension on the cables with the e-brake handle down.

The adjusting nut on my e-brake was seized, I heated it with a propane torch and was able to remove it easily (it will burn out the nylon insert that is the locking mechanism) I just got another nylon insert lock nut at my local hardware store.

Then you'll have a good e-brake.

Last edited:
Back