• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chirping/squealing noise

imthehink

NAXJA Forum User
The noise is definately coming from the front drivshaft area. I replaced all 3 u-joints, and the centering yoke looked good and no signs of wear. I greased and put everything back on and the noise is still there. Could anything else cause the noise in this area? thanks

also, how do you tell if the centering yoke is bad on the double cardon joint? Mine had no noticeable wear but maybe it could still be bad?

Ok, with the front DS out, I put it in 4wd and the noise reapeared and stopped when I took it out of 4wd. Front output seal on TC?

I have the same chirping noise in my 96 XJ. I am still diagnosing, but I jacked up each side of the front end and had a friend rotate each wheel. Still had the squeak. I think I can hear the noise coming from either the double cardon joint near the transfer case or the transfer case itself. This weekend, I plan on taking out the front driveshaft and repeating this. If the noise is gone when I rotate each wheel, I will know for sure that it is not in the pinion bearing in the front end. Then I will drive it with the front shaft out and in 4WD to determine if it is the universal joint or something in the transfer case. Where did you get your joint parts? Keep me posted on your investigation - may save me some time.

I too hear a squeal but only when everything is still cold. It goes away when it warms up but when I drive slowly through a parking lot I hear and feel a mild clunking till I turn sharply and it worsens. Now here is what has me worried, when I have it turned fully, especially to the right, I hear and feel a very loose clunk as I lightly apply and release the brake. I feel it is the u-joint, but also suspect the bearing assembly. I checked for looseness in the bearing and all is tight, and I replaced the pads and double checked for anything loose while I was at it, but all is again, tight.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread here but I am hearing the same noises, so I'm hoping for help on this too as my wallet is money challenged and I'm unable to throw $$ at parts that are not my current problem. Thanks in advance to all for the help.

Just came back in from checking for any signs of wear or looseness on all u-joints including axle and DS and all are good and tight. For me, it must be the bearing assembly. There were no squeeling while turning tires both forward and back, and even allowing "differential" opposite turns of wheels, and no squeel, squeek, or chirp. I'm guessing the bearing, although tight, can be extremely dry or contaminated to a point that under the weight of the jeep makes the noises. Also, the lugs are tight and evenly torqued.
Please help if anyone can with this. It's the usual front low pinion D30 on a 2000 XJ. Thanx!

gundog said:
I have the same chirping noise in my 96 XJ. I am still diagnosing, but I jacked up each side of the front end and had a friend rotate each wheel. Still had the squeak. I think I can hear the noise coming from either the double cardon joint near the transfer case or the transfer case itself. This weekend, I plan on taking out the front driveshaft and repeating this. If the noise is gone when I rotate each wheel, I will know for sure that it is not in the pinion bearing in the front end. Then I will drive it with the front shaft out and in 4WD to determine if it is the universal joint or something in the transfer case. Where did you get your joint parts? Keep me posted on your investigation - may save me some time.

Update: I took the fron driveshaft out and wallah, no chirping. I plan on repairing all of the u joints on this shaft. It has the front single u joint and the double cardon rear u joint. Anyone have experience with rebuilding these?

Back