• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POLICE PACKAGE?

bfred

NAXJA Forum User
I just puchased a 97 XJ, found out it was originally titled to a county Seriff's dept. It looks like Had a radio mounted to the console and some lights installed. Figuring it was probably a squad. Just wondering if anyone knows what options came in the "police package" and how to determine if this truck was so equipped. I'm hopeing that maybe this jeep has some heavy duty equipment or drietrain components...just wondering...thanks in advance!

the column instead of on the floor is the big difference. The other I know about is the trany cooler. Most people thing police cars have more hp, but that is not true. They build the cars to run harder longer. My current police car (Impala) has coolers for every dam fluid in the vehicle as well as bigger brakes. I'm sure that is what the Jeep is going to have.

If you have a police package you should have:
Column Shift
Extended idle switch
skids on gas, transfer case, and front suspension
HD shocks
HD Coils/leaf springs
120mph speedo
Thats all I can remember, I think as far as the suspension goes it should be close to the same as an UPCountry package.

ya i have a police package crown vic lol i am not a wanna be cop i just got a deal and it is semi better on gas then my jeep to drive around town

I don't think the 97+ came with colom shifter on police package, but it would have extended idle, tranny cooler, Upcountry suspension (usually includes skid plates, and tow hooks), and a certified speedo (may even go to 120). The PCM should have been flashed to remove the speed limiter too. It may also have a powersteering cooler too.

97+ do not have the colum shifter it is on the floor. It should have the up-country pacakge and skids with extra cooler for trany. It may or may not have the carpet floor. Good find, I keep trying to get my neighbor's but the township will not let go of it.

XJPhoenix said:
I'm waiting for the 'Blues Brothers' line...

"Fix the lighter."

(Yeah, I shortened it... :D)

bfred said:
how to determine if this truck was so equipped. I'm hopeing that maybe this jeep has some heavy duty equipment or drietrain components...just wondering...thanks in advance!
Get me the last 8 digits of the VIN and I should be able to tell you if you like.

Mine is a 96.
Floor shift.

bajacalal said:
To add to the list of possibilites, I think a police model also would come with a "heavy duty" version of the NP 231 transfer case that has a larger oil capacity.

From what I gather, the majority of Po-Po XJ's had the 242.

Idiot Wind said:
10" drums instead of standard 9"? That is the conclusion I came to while doing my search for new drums/shoes.

Correcto.

Hale

Don't assume that just cause it was titled to law enforcement agency that is was spec'ed with police package. Needs researched more. Good luck, hope you found a gem.

If you dig further into it, you'll find that most of the column shift vehicles and those with the relocated e-brake to the left side of the drivers' seat were US govt vehicles, such as USFS law enforcement ranger vehicles. I believe there is more info at allpar.com on the special service package for the jeep.Many special service packages were built especially from 92-99.Quite a few departments have held on to their Cherokees as long as they can, but now they all seem to be being replaced by Durangos.A look at GSA shows a few up for sale and more to come.

silent_bob_662001 said:
Don't assume that just cause it was titled to law enforcement agency that is was spec'ed with police package.

This is also correct.
IIRC, my title says "Police Special"

Back