• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6" lift...cant set pinion...centre the axle?

XJTony

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend lifted the XJ ..4.5 Rough Country plus 1.75 coil spacer..and 2" rear shackles...with lower adjustable Control arms...the kit was slightly used ...Im sitting at 6.25 inchs of lift...rear is shimmed ...and has mild vibes at 50 kms ..I have a SYE ..just have not installed yet...

My issues are with the front ...with this amount of lift the front axle is located rearwards too far...I adjusted my CA's to 16 3/4 inchs...to centre the axle in the wheel well ...now heres the royal pain ...I tried setting my pinion angle but the axle is hits the steering...the track bar mount and the lower sway bar connect is hitting the sterring knuckle ...whats the best way to correct this issue? Should I pull back the axle ....or get a super long pitman arm ..?? or just pull out the spacer and shackles and live with 4 inchs of lift ???

tealcherokee said:
buy a real lift kit

:rolleyes:

Useless response.

XJTony said:
My issues are with the front ...with this amount of lift the front axle is located rearwards too far...I adjusted my CA's to 16 3/4 inchs...to centre the axle in the wheel well ...now heres the royal pain ...I tried setting my pinion angle but the axle is hits the steering...the track bar mount and the lower sway bar connect is hitting the sterring knuckle ...whats the best way to correct this issue? Should I pull back the axle ....or get a super long pitman arm ..?? or just pull out the spacer and shackles and live with 4 inchs of lift ???

Not sure exactly what you're talking about. Yes, you might have to adjust the arms and pinion angle to make sure everythng clears....but I still don't get what you mean exactly. Track bar mount hitting the steering knuckle?? :dunno:

I think you're talking about where the drag link and tierod join. You have a lot of lift for a short arm system without drop brackets. Your uca's are limiting your ability to properly set the pinion.

If it were me, I would get adj. uca's, go with the smaller lift height and have better working angles.

bknudtsen said:
I think you're talking about where the drag link and tierod join. You have a lot of lift for a short arm system without drop brackets. Your uca's are limiting your ability to properly set the pinion.

If it were me, I would get adj. uca's, go with the smaller lift height and have better working angles.

I realize I need uppers...but when I removed the upper control arms to see where the pinion angle should be ...the drag link hits my Discos...and track bar mount .....my lower arms are extended to 16 3/4 inchs to centre the axle in the wheel well ....so with the axle centred and the pinion angle set ..its hitting the drag link ....I guess I need to either choose pinion angle or axle centering ...it makes no dif if its a long arm ..short arm ....RE ...Rough Country ...BDS ...!!! Anyone use a super long Pitman arm to fix this problem ....

XJTony said:
I realize I need uppers...but when I removed the upper control arms to see where the pinion angle should be ...the drag link hits my Discos...and track bar mount .....my lower arms are extended to 16 3/4 inchs to centre the axle in the wheel well ....so with the axle centred and the pinion angle set ..its hitting the drag link ....I guess I need to either choose pinion angle or axle centering ...it makes no dif if its a long arm ..short arm ....RE ...Rough Country ...BDS ...!!! Anyone use a super long Pitman arm to fix this problem ....

16.75" lower arms are not uncommon, and yes, it has nothing to do with the type of suspension. Also, it's not uncommon for the drag link to rub slightly on the axle track bar mount, but this usually means the drag link is slightly bent.

You only have two possible scenarios. The drag link is bent back towards the axle (most likely), or the axle is pushed too far forward. The drag link has quite a bend in it right after the tie rod attaches to it, and it's easy to hit something and bend it towards the axle. I bet if you bend it back out you won't have a problem....until you hit somethig and bend it in again.

Back