• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Isuzu Dana 44

rehab

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use std. 44 thick gears and do I need a special carrier for 4.88's or will the stock carrier work?

I searched, but I would like to know for certain (a lot of different stuff gets said)

NighthawkXJ said:
dana 44s have a break at the same place dana 30s do. for 410s and up you need a 410 carrier, for 373s and down, you need a 373 carrier
yeah but, what I'm asking if the "metric" 44's use the same parts as the "standard" 44's (minus axle shafts of course)

stock the axle has 4.30's in it.

The only difference between your Isuzu D44 housing and any other LP D44 housing is that you will use a different pinion seal (Randy's R&P knows which master install kit you need). Otherwise, you can run any gear/carrier combination you want. That means "thick" 4.10's and 4.56's will work fine on a 3 series carrier - regular 4.10's and lower on a 4 series, regular 3.92's and higher on a 3 series. I run an isuzu rear (w/ 4.30 gears), and Powerman on this board is likewise running a "I44" - maybe 53guy too...

Yup, and the earlier ones run a crush sleeve as well. I run 5.13's and an ARB no problems. The ARB and breather vent are where the tone ring sensor went previously.

Back