• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Condenser to Trans Cooler, Trans Cooler to PS...

Crawler

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody here with the tow package (or not) used their stock A/C condenser as a trans cooler and their stock trans cooler as a PS cooler?

If A/C no longer works on your rig and/or you can live without it, this seems like an excellent and natural modification opportunity in the making.

If so, I'm very interested in hearing your results to apply here in the desert southwest... ;^]

My AC just kicked the bucket so i was looking at converting it to on board air and now will look at converting the coolers to.
Great idea. have you seen it done or just an idea???
sixer...

JEEP THE PLANET

I use the trans cooler as a power steering cooler and have seen the condenser used as a trans cooler too. Might want to keep it running through the radiator cooler so it does not run too cool or put a thermostatically controlled bypass on it.

Sixer...
I've heard the condenser to trans cooler idea kicked around before but not the trans cooler to PS cooler. It dawned on me as a "natural" while looking at it the other day. Searched and didn't come up with much of anything.

Gojeep...
Good on ya', mate! I just saw your write-up on the Taurus fan and auxiliary trans cooler. Your mods, workmanship, and write-ups are outstanding. I do have to wonder some about the smaller diameter tubing and the number of passes of the condenser and the resulting effect of static pressure drop.

Last edited:
I use a stock trans cooler form another rig for a PS cooler, you use some type of tranny cooler for a PS cooler no matter what you do. The condensor seems too big to use as a trans cooler, though, especially since the XJ isn't a truck towing a big trailer. I'd be concerned that the tranny wouldn't get warm enough much of the time. I'd also want to flush it good before hooking it up to the trans, since if the AC compressor went out there could be metal particles in the condensor.

Back