• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at new wheels question on backspacing

87baseomatic

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at picking up a set of cragar black d window wheels in 15x8 to replace the bend and beat ar outlaws that are on my xj now. I will be running 31x10.50 bfg at ko's. Summit has these in 4 3/4" backspacing and quadratec has them with 4" backspacing. What would be more optimal. 3" lift will be going on at the same time.

Current wheels are 15x7, not to sure on the offset but they poke past the flare every so slightly with 235/75r15 bridgestone duelers on there. They rubbed the flares in the rear real bad when wheeling with passengers in the back and rotted out bumpstops. Now with new rear bumpstops they ever so slightly scrape the flair when full flex in the rear. I am trying to avoid that on new tires,

stock is 5.25 back spacing. i run 3.75 for my 33 X 12.5 X 15 swampers. 4 inch is where you want to be for no or little rubbing. 4.75 is too close to stock.

x2 on the 4 inch bs, I run 15x8's with 4inch b/s, 31x 10.50, 2 in bb lift, rub when hard wheeling, but enough to live with

Running BDS 3". 31 " MTR's and 15x8 Cragers with 4.75" BS . Works greats. Clearence on the arms and the flairs.
Xmas20063-2.jpg

Picture020-3.jpg

I just got my Cragar D-window 15x8s w/ 4.75" BS. I'm running a 3" BB. I'm getting Dueler AT Revos (31x10.5) installed on the wheels tomorrow. I'll be busy all day, but remind me to and I'll post up pics on sunday.

cstilesiscool said:
stock is 5.25 back spacing. i run 3.75 for my 33 X 12.5 X 15 swampers. 4 inch is where you want to be for no or little rubbing. 4.75 is too close to stock.

I don't think 4.75 is too close to stock, depending on what your running on em. If your running 31x10.5's those would be a great fit. If you plan to go with a wider tire, than ya those are too close to stock.

I like to keep the tire tucked into the wheelwell as much as possible without rubbing the LCA's on turns, or the upper coil mount when flexing. Some like to shove the tire out alittle more.... then 4 over 4.75 is preference.

Last edited:
I am running 15x8 4" BS with 32x11.5's and I think they are perfect.

Back