• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front 4-link brackets?

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone offer front 4-link brackets by themselves? I'd like them free of the crossmember so I can fab/buy my own, but will consider other options. I emailed Full Traction, but after searching it looks like they're not selling the pieces at all. Any others?

Also look at Poly Performance, they have a very good selection of link mounts.

I'm a little worried about welding links right to the unibody on the Cherokee.

Here are the mounts I made for the TJ, can I just weld something like this design onto the unibody? Or do I need to spread it out (maybe install channel along the frame first)? I like the look of the Feull traction because they are so long, is this a smarter way to fab them?

tj4linkalmost007ts2.jpg

You should absolutely plate the frame rails where you plan on installing link mounts. Do some searching around for "unibody reinforcement" and you'll find plenty of ideas that should work for you.

There is a difference between welding to the "unibody" frame or to the body panels or other "unibody" structure. The frame does have thicker metal. I think you're fine if you just add a layer of thin steel to the frame area around where you're going to weld a bracket, it can be 1/8" or thinner and get the job done. This spreads the load on the thin steel of the XJ frame and makes it much easier to get a good weld on the steel plate than on the galvanized steel of the frame.

Thanks. Looking at others' pictures, I'll think I'll use some 3 inch angle to plate all the way up, then build my link mounts on top of that.

So, here's a question. I've been debating doing a 3-link or standard radius arm front suspension. On all of the production radius arm systems the lower arm mounts are tied together with a crossmember (TNT, CLayton, etc) and the 3/4 link setups have the lower arm mounts solely welded to the frame rail (RK and Full Traction).

If I were to use standard lower mounts like the ones below:

t_374_01.jpg

or

t_430.jpg

will these be sufficient to use with radius arms? They will be welded to the reinforced frame rails. Thanks for any input.

I think they would be stronger than being attached to the cross member, as long as they are welded to good steel and not the stock galvanized crap.

Back