• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 what locker/axle combo?

jcnoble

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock xj Dana 44. I am going to put in a locker, i am wondering if I should keep the stock axles or go with alloy ones . Thinkin bout electric detroit and 4:56 gears. Which spline is best with alloy axles? Several are available.

What size tire are you gonna run? are you gonna go bigger? what engine and tranny do you have?
I'll tell you right now to stay way clear of the E'lectrac's. They break.
but give us more info and we can give you better insight.

Presently on 33" tires , may go to 35's next year. 4.0 Engine, AW4 trans. Dana 30 front , have the D44 in my garage, wanna put it on asap. I just need to decide which locker/axle combo. Maybe throw disc brakes on also. Cha ching.

I will second what Rawbrown said. I had my heart set on Electracs front and rear. The company actually talked me out of it. Too many moving parts. Setup is very critical. If you do it wrong, it is irreversible. Plus, now that Eaton bought them, I don't know what their commitment to the Electracs will be.
If you want bigger shafts, now is the time to do it. I won't bore you with my opinion on which is best, but if you go bigger splines, you can only get a Detroit, ARB, or Ox locker. Those are the only 33 spline D44 lockers. Any of those are a good choice though.

Yeah, I think superior sells a 33 spline axle/locker kit for a little over a grand. Thanks for the input.

Back