• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes

finley347

NAXJA Forum User
are there any kits available to change rear drum brakes on a 1999 jeep cherokee to rotor and caliper setup? 8.25 chrysler rear end

finley347 said:
are there any kits available to change rear drum brakes on a 1999 jeep cherokee to rotor and caliper setup? 8.25 chrysler rear end

Search function.

Kits and junkyard swaps are available, at varying costs and degrees of difficulty to the vehicle owner.

finley347 said:
are there any kits available to change rear drum brakes on a 1999 jeep Cherokee to rotor and caliper setup? 8.25 Chrysler rear end

Please don't get put off by the people that can't post more than "go search". They (most) mean well, they just come off as a

There are several ways you can go about the swap. Terra makes the set up I run. It has held up well. Installation isn't bad at all.

IIRC TSM and SSB have kits as well.

There aren't any plug and play set ups out there, all of them will require some work, but it isn't too difficult.

You can use Explorer or ZJ stuff as well, though it takes some extra fab.

Hit the search and check out some of the stuff available in old write ups. There is far more archived info than I can regurgitate, and probably more complete and accurate than I can be.

Here's one I found: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100459&highlight=Disk+Brakes

And another:
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/BAzjRearDiscsOnXJ/ZJrearDiscsOnXJ.htm

The Terra set up is basically the ZJ/Explorer type disk set up and is already opened up at the bearing/axle hole plus is all new and the disks are drilled for dual lug patterns.

Check out DC 4WD for one of the better prices you can find. I got mine from them years ago.

Bones :skull1:

DiscBrakeKit.jpg

I used zj brackets rotors and calipers on my 8.25, was fairly cheap and very straightforward and easy. Its just a matter of finding the caliper brackets, which can be had from the dealer but can be kind of $. Huge improvement over the drums.

Crown Automotive will be making a kit in the near future so be on the lookout. I'll hopefully be testing it and leaving a review on here.

Back