• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" Locker Help w/242, Have Searched!

F9K9

Semper Fi
I have seached until I am more confused than ever.

Here are the cliff notes.

I bought a '92 XJ Limited, 3 months ago, with a np242, D30 front, a swapped 8.25" rear diff, 4.10 gears (installed last May) and a RE Super(?) Flex 3.5" SL. Driveline vibrations began and they took out the rear u-joint on the rear DS along with the pinion yoke and the rear half of the 242 tc case recently. I know I botched the back lash adjustment on the rear pinion gear when I installed the new yoke. I rebuilt the 242 using the parts from another 242.

No shops around me close by other than a dealership. I would like to have a rear locker anyway and thought that if, I knew what locker would work best on my set up that I could combine the backlash adjustment and the locker with a shop doing the work for me.

I wheel maybe once a month and this is a back up DD and I don't anticipate needing a front locker. It has to be driven to where I wheel so it has to be realistic.

I have not driven it many miles (10 total since I learned of my screw up) after I discovered I messed up the backlash adjustment. Would an offroad shop appreciated just the axle being brought to them for this work?

Apologize in advance and I did search for several hours.

Thanks,

Reed

I can't personaly say how they would react, but most transmission shops have a guy or two that are good at setting up defferentials. My suggestion would be to find a reputable one that is not part of a chain if possible, as they are more able to work with you on what they can and can't do. Explain to them your situation and what you would like to do about it. Most will be able to work with you. Hopefully you have one in your area that is willing to work with you. Best of luck.

RandyD71 said:
I can't personaly say how they would react, but most transmission shops have a guy or two that are good at setting up defferentials. My suggestion would be to find a reputable one that is not part of a chain if possible, as they are more able to work with you on what they can and can't do. Explain to them your situation and what you would like to do about it. Most will be able to work with you. Hopefully you have one in your area that is willing to work with you. Best of luck.

Good advice and I appreciate it. I probably should have made myself clearer. I know that there are just a couple lockers or LS options on the 242 . Just a subtle hint on which locker may be good in my application and I realize that there are almost as many preferences as there are members.

I attempted to narrow my searches to just the 242 and rear 8.25 leaving my front open but, did not get very far. I guess, I will search some more and run down local shops with your sugesstion.

F9K9 said:
Good advice and I appreciate it. I probably should have made myself clearer. I know that there are just a couple lockers or LS options on the 242.

I haven't heard of the tcase (242) having to have a certain locker, did you mean the 8.25?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904721&highlight=locker+8.25
When you search go to advanced search to narrow it down. Found this thread with the same words you used but only in modified tech.
Hope that helps for future!

Well you didnt even touch the ring gear backlash!Now you may have not gotten the proper pinion bearing pre-load since it can only be checked with the carrier removed.As for lockers you cant go wrong with a "no-slip",your tranfer case has nothing to do with your locker selection,that only applies to the front axle!

88xjlover said:
..............I haven't heard of the tcase (242) having to have a certain locker, did you mean the 8.25?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904721&highlight=locker+8.25
Sorry, I meant the 8.25" locker selection.

RCP Phx said:
Well you didnt even touch the ring gear backlash!
Now you may have not gotten the proper pinion bearing pre-load since it can only be checked with the carrier removed.As for lockers you cant go wrong with a "no-slip",your tranfer case has nothing to do with your locker selection,that only applies to the front axle!
Again , I had bad advice and threw an impact wrench to the rear pinion yoke nut and when finished the rear end was locked upped which is entirely my fault for not doing better research.

I will look for answers eslewhere. I threw in the 242 info because of the controversy over front lockers with them. Instead of clarifying, I just muddled it up. I apologize for being such a noob.

Stay safe,

Reed

As far as getting the work done, I'd go with advice above about finding an independent transmission company near you who seem willing to talk things through. If you have interest in buying all the tools, parts and taking a lot of time learning you can do it yourself though.

Regarding a locker - I have an 8.25 with 4.10 gears and a Detroit and am very pleased with it. It it behind an AW4 and 242 and I think the auto helps smooth some of the subtle clunks from the Detroit. The 242 doesn't make a difference in choosing a locker for the reasons above but driving it in full-time does soften the effect of having an automatic locker in the rear when the streets are wet. Like I said, I'm really pleased with the setup and went with the Detroit over others for the reputation of reliability and strength.

English XJ said:
As far as getting the work done, I'd go with advice above about finding an independent transmission company near you who seem willing to talk things through. If you have interest in buying all the tools, parts and taking a lot of time learning you can do it yourself though.
Thanks for the advice. I made several calls today and visited a couple transmission shops. I've settled on just having the crush sleeve replaced for now.

I don't mind buying tools at all and I am willing to learn to attempt new projects. I just don't have the room for anymore tools or a place out of the weather to work on projects at where I currently live.

I have started the research on the Detroit and plan on having one installed later this spring.

Thanks for the tips.

Back