• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I replace the shifter handle on my XJ..

mtbikerjohn

NAXJA Forum User
I notice some folks use the auto shifter handle from a ZJ,on their XJ's..How does one go about swapping out the handles? I looked on my shifter handle for a set screw,but couldn't see anything thats holding it in the shifter. How do I get the old one off without breaking it?...John

just yank it right up towards the roof. Easiest to loop a rope over it, a belt etc and do an arm curl like you are lifting a barbell. One quick pull motion towards the roof.

If you curl it, I'm sure you'll smash your face when it pops off.

I just straddled the center console, and pulled up with both arms. If you can get it into a low gear, that would be ideal.

I'm not trying to hi-jack here, but what are the options for replacement shifters for the AW4 equipped 87-90 XJ's?

Give me years, models, and even other makes besides Jeep.

Thanks and sorry for jacking!

xjtrailrider said:
I'm not trying to hi-jack here, but what are the options for replacement shifters for the AW4 equipped 87-90 XJ's?

Give me years, models, and even other makes besides Jeep.

Thanks and sorry for jacking!

zj shifter handle, late model xj's, not sure if the WJs will fit.

Back