• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel Question........Electrical shorts????

signman2007

NAXJA Forum User
Putting a snorkel on your jeep obviously doesn't waterproof your car so is there any kits out there that seal up all the electrical connections. Also i have a 1988 cherokee and my Altenator is at the bottom of the motor so it would be the first thing that hits the water...what can you do to keep everything from shorting out????

Good question I totally forgot about the alternator. I wish I had an answer for you as I am looking into making a snorkle.

move your alternator to where your AC pump would be. although i dont know if an 88 would have that.

Yeah I am not going to put a snorkel on for looks....I'm gonna do it for a reason such as stream crossing without fear of being stranded in the mountains, but definatly want everything to coincide with the snorkel. Like the military Hummer that can ford effectivly in 60 inches of water for ever how long needed and not worry because everything is sealed. Now I don't plan on fording like that but as we all know from time to time we have to pass through deep water on the trail.
texinteg said:
Good question I totally forgot about the alternator. I wish I had an answer for you as I am looking into making a snorkle.

be glad ur AC works... i had the superduper xj core leak....

oh and he hummvees? they suck in water.... i've seen so many shattered fans its stupid.

Are you talking about the new one's? I was in the Marines and the Hummer that i drove for 4 years was full proof. We drove them under water all the time. Hell when they train you how to operate a Hummvee part of the training is about a 100yd pass under water of at least 4ft and sometimes more.
dgrigorenko said:
be glad ur AC works... i had the superduper xj core leak....

oh and he hummvees? they suck in water.... i've seen so many shattered fans its stupid.

aparently its the new ones... unless yours had a fan cutoff switch. i'm in the army now, and i hate those things. you cant go more than 3 miles an hour... they say 5, but i've seen them break at that.

Yeah I did desert storm the first round in 90 - 91 and don't quote me but the fan did shut down but not sure if that was all connected to the fording swith. Anywho we can't make our jeeps that waterproof but there has to be a way to at least protect the connections and altenator. What good is it if you have a snorkel if your altenator is going to short out....if you left the trail right then you might make it home on just the battery:confused:
dgrigorenko said:
aparently its the new ones... unless yours had a fan cutoff switch. i'm in the army now, and i hate those things. you cant go more than 3 miles an hour... they say 5, but i've seen them break at that.

yeah i did that once... luckily i had a redtop, unfortunatly i didnt realize the alternator died till three days later when i went to the mall and it didnt start... also... for complete waterproofing, vents need to be added to axels, transmssion, transfercase, and distributor cap(just in case you want to really get overzealous). i think thats all of them... http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBreatherExtensions.htm this is a great writeup from gojeep.

sweet write up....thanks a bunch!
dgrigorenko said:
yeah i did that once... luckily i had a redtop, unfortunatly i didnt realize the alternator died till three days later when i went to the mall and it didnt start... also... for complete waterproofing, vents need to be added to axels, transmssion, transfercase, and distributor cap(just in case you want to really get overzealous). i think thats all of them... http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBreatherExtensions.htm this is a great writeup from gojeep.

The key is to use Dielectric Grease on everything. Good waterproofer and keeps the connections going. The alternators on Hummers aren't sealed. Take a good look at them same motor that GM uses. THey are sealed at the coneectors with tons of grease. The main fording depth is that the air intake is is high. and the exhaust is above the max fording depth.

Hey File 05 I know this is off subject but really fast...I have a 4.5" lift as well and have been told not to run 33 x 12.5 x 15 because of rubbing. Do you have that problem?
File 05 said:
The key is to use Dielectric Grease on everything. Good waterproofer and keeps the connections going. The alternators on Hummers aren't sealed. Take a good look at them same motor that GM uses. THey are sealed at the coneectors with tons of grease. The main fording depth is that the air intake is is high. and the exhaust is above the max fording depth.

I never did any maintainance on my hummer but all I know is the thing never died when under water. so if I use dielectric grease then the altenator beig fully engulfed with water is okay?

Alternator beeing under relatively clean water does not create accute problems. Sandy mixture does, I know by experience, and not only alternators.

Right on! Also to I have had really good luck with a product called wire drier from your local auto parts. If you get your distibutor wet and its acting up you can take it apart and spray this on it and believe it or not it dry's them right up!
Killman said:
Alternator beeing under relatively clean water does not create accute problems. Sandy mixture does, I know by experience, and not only alternators.

This is all true..... I have been, just today down here in Houston area, been in some deep water on the roads themselves.(2 to 3 feet believe it or not).
I got to test out my new snorkel....I assume it works because i made it through fine.....EXCEPT my clamped together muffler and cat came off.Now i assume it was due to the water pressing on the front of the muffler and pushing it towards the rear of the xj. Once i got out of the water, i bolted her back up but i realized the exhaust is a much overlooked part of water crossings.
That thing needs to be water tight and very secure.AKA Welded, not clamped like mine. It also needs to rise up the side and above the predicted water line if you expect to go anywhere above the bumper really.Once you let off the throttle in water .....the water wants in the exhaust and,....well then the exhaust cant get out,...and you have pressures where pressures werent and Mr 4.0 shuts off.
I too spent 5 years in the Corps (ERRRRR KiLL)...and i have a lot of memories driving and havin a blast in humvees out on the tank trails. Thats probably what made me get into Jeeps,..or insanity and a sense of self abuse.

But i digress.Its pretty tough to totally seal an electrical system other than keeping them coated (PMs!!) Unless you wanna develop something and then get a patent, and sell it!!
Neccessity is the mother of invention my friend.

BTW i love being confident in the water. All these chumps in thier honda (look how practical i am) vehicles on the side of the road camped out in thier stuffy car whilst i cruise by... HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! punks:)

Either way the best way (and sometimes most expensive) is to try it out and find out the weak points....Good luck adn post a write up when you discover something helpful

Wallyman I'm going to have to completely disagree with you on that. You don't need to do a thing to the exhaust unless you SHUT OFF the engine. otherwise it will be compltely fine. (I have been stuck in deep water twice, as well has seen many others). The exhaust will keep bubbling and it WILL NOT shut off. There will be constant pressure in the exhaust, and the pressure will be more powerfull than the water, and push it out, especilly if you are reving it. I can still remember the sound of my exhaust bubbling as I was sitting in my trunk trying to attach my D-shackle reciever into my hitch...

Once you shut off the engine though the backpressure will pull up some water and possibly do damage, and won't turn on again.

signman2007 said:
Hey File 05 I know this is off subject but really fast...I have a 4.5" lift as well and have been told not to run 33 x 12.5 x 15 because of rubbing. Do you have that problem?

Rubbing? HEHE yeah there WAS some rubbing. But after the first time I took it out on the trails the tires kinda self clearanced the fenders themselves. I had to remove all of the fender flares and I really need to take it down to the local shop and get them to properly trim the fenders to clean them up.

Now if you were refering to the rubbing on lower control arms then, No. Once it was properly aligned then the tires no longer rubbed on the arms. I think they still rub a little at full lock but thats it. But I'm running aftermarket rims. They are 16x8 Mickey Thompson Classic Twos. THe fact that they are 16 inches may have something to do with it? I'm not sure. Also they were ordered for my Ford Ranger that I used to have. I kept them after I got rid of the truck and since they bolted up I put them on the XJ. I don't know what the backspacing is on them except that they are supposed to be for a Ford Ranger. Hope that helps.

Back