• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upcountry - what does it mean?

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi to all,

As we are entering our national offroad champinonship with a stock XJ 4.0, and we are limited to factory setting car, I wonder what does the upcountry edition or option meant for -1995 cherokee? Any lift? bigger tires? anybody knows?

I have seen "Country" Xj's but have never seen an "up country" are they the same thing?

Country is just the body style look and features. Like Classic, Limited, or Sport. Up Country was an added option group.

I believe that Up Country group was started on 97-01 XJ's Models. Before that were just called the Off Road group. I could be wrong, but looking at a few old brochures it does not state Up Country just Off Road group. They are the same thing tho.

Last edited:
the upcountry package gives you a 1" lift from the factory via stiffer springs, the odd road package is what gives skid plates and tow hooks

Sorry, I did find some info on Up Country being stated on a 1995 XJ Model. So I guess that name was used, but I'm not sure when it started.

Straight from the window sticker,

Up Country:

Skid Plate - Front Suspension
Skid Plate Shield - Fuel Tank
Skid Plate Shield - Transfer Case
Axle - Trac-Lok Differential
Engine Cooling - Heavy Duty
Spare Tire - Full Size
Tow Hooks
Stabilizer Bar - Rear Delete
Suspension - Heavy Duty w/Gas Shocks

XJMarty said:
so no lift? Can anybody proove it?

There is a lift. I added the Up Country Group to my XJ and it does sit taller. Measurements are below to show the difference.

From center of the hub to the bottom of the fender flare. Measurements for the Up Country were taken 9 months after install.

WITHOUT Up Country.

Front 17" Rear 17 1/2"

Picture080.jpg

WITH Up Country.

Front 18 1/2" Rear 18 3/4"

Picture091-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
wow, what a lift, gonna go out and get me one from the dealer right now

hey silentbob, this is not the point, I am not going to get the package from the dealer, but we only can proove that this upgraded car came from a factory .... thats all, every inch of lift is good in the "origina" category we race

Dmanti said:
What exactly does "Engine Cooling - Heavy Duty" mean?

The radiator is different than the standard one you would get. Also means that if you don't have the tow package you will also get an aux transmission cooler. Overall better cooling of fluids.

This is what is stated in the Chrysler manual I have:

"An optional factory installed heavy duty cooling
package is available on most models. The package
consists of a radiator that has an increased number
of cooling fins. Vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine
and heavy duty cooling and/or air conditioning also
have an auxiliary electric cooling fan."

Last edited:
2000XJSPORT said:
The radiator is different than the standard one you would get. I'm not sure what that entails. Also means that if you don't have the tow package you will also get an aux transmission cooler. Overall better cooling of fluids.

I believe it meant a 3-core vs. 2-core radiator. I have it on my 2000, but don't really notice much difference over the 2-core. Then again, I probably need to have it rodded by this stage.

I was looking at buying an 1994 XJ Sport that had the 'Up-Country' package on it; the PO got the printout from the dealership with the up-country listed on it. (It didn't say anything about the posi-rear though... Maybe he neglected to mention that!)

:)

Ronbo said:
Straight from the window sticker,

Up Country:

Skid Plate - Front Suspension
Skid Plate Shield - Fuel Tank
Skid Plate Shield - Transfer Case
Axle - Trac-Lok Differential
Engine Cooling - Heavy Duty
Spare Tire - Full Size
Tow Hooks
Stabilizer Bar - Rear Delete
Suspension - Heavy Duty w/Gas Shocks

Yep. My first XJ was a 91 with the Up-Country package. That's what I remember.

Up country adds an inch lift, along with a better radiator, auxilary transmission cooler, different shocks, rear limited-slip, skids, and towhooks.

Stock Cherokee's rear flares sit a half inch LOWER.....so I think he got his measurements mixed up.....

For example, front would be 17.5 inches from bottom flare to center hub, and the rear would be 17.0 inches from bottom flare to center hub....unless it was sagging before you bought it and they fixed the rear suspension and it sits "higher" in the rear now/

Blaine B. said:
Up country adds an inch lift, along with a better radiator, auxilary transmission cooler, different shocks, rear limited-slip, skids, and towhooks.

Stock Cherokee's rear flares sit a half inch LOWER.....so I think he got his measurements mixed up.....

For example, front would be 17.5 inches from bottom flare to center hub, and the rear would be 17.0 inches from bottom flare to center hub....unless it was sagging before you bought it and they fixed the rear suspension and it sits "higher" in the rear now/

The measurements that I had poster were from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare. When I got my XJ in 2003 the front was 17" and the rear was 17 1/2". With the Up Country added it became 18 1/2 in the front and 18 3/4 in the rear. I double checked these from what I wrote down and I measured my friends stock 2001 for an example. His was 17" in the front and around 17 1/2" in the rear. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but thats what the tape measure says.

Back