• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

first time

habibi

NAXJA Forum User
well hey guys its ganna be my first time goi to tellico and i was wondering what u guys suggest i get done to my rig before i head up there. i have a 4/5 re lift with 32a. im saving up for lockers and gears for the next couple weeks. i have a home made front bumper that i need to finish including bolting up the winch. no under armor not much damage yet. cute little cone filter... i mean not much done. got some off road lights... i ordered some neoprene sat covers... i wanna go doorless in summer too so im ganna take out carpet and pu in husky liners... so what do u guys suggest i do to my rig before i go?

and anyone form charlotte, nc i can meet so we can travel together? i might have a friend who would want to come. i owe him dinner and a ujoint so well see!

Locker woul dbe nice but not a requirement...Mine will be on a 3" lift nad 31 BFGs and stock the rest of the way;)

at least rocker protection then tcase skid

short tires = little rocks that like to jump up and eat your pumkins
of all the $ I have spent on my rig and half a dozen trips to tellico
diff guards are money well spent. Trust me tellico has MANY of these little pumkin eaters
you can get a front diff guard for under $50

yep. mine hangs low. had to pound out some dents last time I had the cover off. Thought about it...

So I should be ok with a 3.5 inch lift and 31's. I am really wanting to come out there but most of the money i spend over the next 3 months will be to make it road worthy. I am gonna get diff guards and a tcase and fuel tnak skid and possibly some rocker guard. I am driving out from Texas and wanna be able to drive back home.

Rockerprotections should be your first priority...

I would definetly get some Rocker guards, transfer case skid, and at least a front diff guard.

If you plan to run many of the trails lockers will make it a lot more fun...

I ALSO suggest bringing some spare parts if you have any lying around... IF you're running a D35 please bring some shafts... Probably not a bad idea to bring some front D30 shafts too (if it's locked)... OR atleast some u-joints.

Also, I think it's in the post in the SE section but please bring some basic recovery gear (including tow points on Ft/Rr of your vehicle) and a fire extinguisher..

well im saving now to do lockers and gears.... i almost have enough money but i just bought the ruff stuff diff covers so im savin a little more... after that i wanna get rockers... thats my #1 option for safty... and then if i get a chance (and if price is good) ill get one for the transfer case. how much is that one? and where do u guys sugest i look for a good one? lol ill search

i do have one d30 shaft extra and ill bring some u joints... where do u guys find extra shafts? junkyards? i also got extra belt and extra pressure lie for steering pump. i have a 8.25 for the rear. should i bring anything for the rear? what else do yall suggest?

as for recovery.. im building my bumper now but dont know if its going to be done. i have a winch but not installed. yet... no idea if it will be ready by then. the rear i have a hitch i just need a shackle for it. i do have a fire extinguisher already in the trunk too! whoo

wow really lookin forward to this trip i hope i can get the days off work!

thanks for all the help guys!

Joe, it sounds like there will be a good assortment of rigs there... So you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to run the hard stuff with you.

What's the specs on your rig? ALSO, Murphy is the closest townat about 30mins. Check out www.tellicocabinrentals.com for cabins at the trailhead or most others will be camping at Crawfords I believe....

uncc civilengineer said:
What's the specs on your rig?

that great to hear.

as far as the XJ I had retired in september last year and working on a new MJ buggy although not much MJ left. 350tpi th350 atlas HPd60 infront HP D60 in rear 39.5 swamper TSL's 4 link front and rear and some other work to be unnamed right now.

Heres the old XJ

164871107yzCCqa_ph.jpg

There are also cabins at Crawfords you can rent too...they have basic cabins with no facilities and then full cabins that were $80 a night I think...

try cseoffroad, I bought a warn skid from there, it was about $70 at my door.
It's nothing fancy, but it's taken some moderate abuse under my long wheelbase.

As for shafts, I will have lots of d35 shafts, but they will be non c-clip.

habibi said:
well im saving now to do lockers and gears.... i almost have enough money but i just bought the ruff stuff diff covers so im savin a little more... after that i wanna get rockers... thats my #1 option for safty... and then if i get a chance (and if price is good) ill get one for the transfer case. how much is that one? and where do u guys sugest i look for a good one? lol ill search

i do have one d30 shaft extra and ill bring some u joints... where do u guys find extra shafts? junkyards? i also got extra belt and extra pressure lie for steering pump. i have a 8.25 for the rear. should i bring anything for the rear? what else do yall suggest?

as for recovery.. im building my bumper now but dont know if its going to be done. i have a winch but not installed. yet... no idea if it will be ready by then. the rear i have a hitch i just need a shackle for it. i do have a fire extinguisher already in the trunk too! whoo

wow really lookin forward to this trip i hope i can get the days off work!

thanks for all the help guys!

ROCKREADYXJ said:
looking to make it down this year are there going to be grooups running black trails? Also what are some of the good hotel accomidations in the nearby area.

Joe

hotels nearby, 20 to 30 min drive from murphy to trail head
days inn has brick like beds for ya to sleep on, enclosed pool, continental breakfast.
tellico cabins is closest
or just camp at crawfords like most everyone else, its part of the Experience

Back