• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best fuel pump ?

96 Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
My last 2 fuel pumps have lasted past the 12,000 mile warranty, but not near as long as the original pump. The list price for an OEM pump is $557.00 !!!!!
Outrageous, in my opinion. Autozone's is $89.95, but more likely to be a crappy part ? Anyone have an opinion on what is the best pump for the money. This having fuel pumps replaced at a cost of over $500 each ($250.00 for pump plus labor) installed is killing me financially. If I could find a good long lasting pump, the shop will install it for me. The only drawback is if it goes out under warrany, the labor to replace it is on me if I supply the pump. If they sell me the pump, then the warranty is for parts and labor. But, I go past the 12/12 warranty in 6 months. Seems as if these aftermarket pumps are made to last the warranty period, but not much longer. :(

The factory pumps last much longer. discount store electrical parts are the cheapest stuff you can buy and the quality shows it. even napa has 2 different grades of parts. for electrical parts always buy the best you can afford. I've got a friend who went through 5 "Auto Zone" starters in about a year. Yes they waranteed them every time but its just not worth the hassle between the labor to install and the "russian roulette" feeling every time you turn the key. He put in one from napa- probably over 3 years now-no problems ! The factory part might even have a 3yr/36 waranty not 100% sure on this though...

bfred said:
The factory pumps last much longer. discount store electrical parts are the cheapest stuff you can buy and the quality shows it. even napa has 2 different grades of parts. for electrical parts always buy the best you can afford. I've got a friend who went through 5 "Auto Zone" starters in about a year. Yes they waranteed them every time but its just not worth the hassle between the labor to install and the "russian roulette" feeling every time you turn the key. He put in one from napa- probably over 3 years now-no problems ! The factory part might even have a 3yr/36 waranty not 100% sure on this though...

I am pressed for time, so I am going to try a NAPA. It's $251.00 with the assembly. Found out the last 2 pumps that did not last very long were from an AC/Delco supplier. Thanks for the info.

this is just me but id like to find out why those 2 pumps went bad. bad ground, bad bushings, clogged screen, etc. and id replace accordingly

rag said:
this is just me but id like to find out why those 2 pumps went bad. bad ground, bad bushings, clogged screen, etc. and id replace accordingly

The first replacement pump after about 1.5 years was pumping air bubbles into the fuel rail. Also the pressure dropped when the engine was reved up. The 2nd replacement pump, about a year old, the one I'm going to have replaced on Friday, is malfunctioning when it's warm outside. It's heat related. Had problems last summer and fall, which I now know were caused by low fuel pressure. Then winter came and no problems with it until last Friday when spring temps arrived. Now it's way worse than it was last fall. Funny, but Monday when it was in the upper 40s or low 50s. I could not get it to malfunction. Tuesday it was about 15 degress warmer here and it ran crappy after about 3PM. Got it to the shop while it was still running crappy and they put the fuel pressure guage on it. It pulsed while at idle and dropped down into the 20s when the engine was reved up. Low fuel pressure= real crappy running engine. Malfunction is definitely affected (caused?) by warm ambient temp.

You say that you have replaced the fuel pump multiple times. Just the pump each time? Hopefully they have replaced the fuel filter as well. Also may want to condider replacing the fuel pressure regulator. I believe yours is in the tank on the assembly and may be included if you buy it all at once. Napa's fuel pumps are made by Carter and are good quality pieces. Also make sure that the inside of your gas tank is clean as if it is not you may be picking up sediment and burning it out early. I say save your self some money and buy a new tank and fuel pump assembly yourself. They are not that hard to install in an xj. Hardest 2 things are loosening the fuel filler hose from the tank and loosening the straps without breaking one. Much much easier with an almost empty tank as gas weighs 8 lbs a gallon. Napa warranty on part may also be lifetime if it is carter made. Ask them as they will honor it no matter who installs it. Best of luck. Randy

Called Napa and they said the Pump was a Delco part.. I mentioned Carter and they said they had nothing of that name.

Whole assembly from Napa: $506
Fuel Filter by itself: $4.33
Fuel Pump by itself: $251

cannot get sending unit by itlelf..
forgot to ask if it comes with a gasket.

So lame, should be able to buy a replacement sending unit by itself...

Mine is broken.. i have a 97, does anyone know if this is a repairable part?

aroncull said:
Whole assembly from Napa: $506

cannot get sending unit by itlelf..
forgot to ask if it comes with a gasket.

So lame, should be able to buy a replacement sending unit by itself...

Mine is broken.. i have a 97, does anyone know if this is a repairable part?

For that kind of $$ I would pull the original and check it out, it might just need some cleaning or have a bad connection. If that doesn't work get the sender from the junk yard (I don't hear of the sender going bad often) or the tank assembly if they won't separate them.

I just picked up a new pump this morning for my '92 at NAPA and it is a Bosch (same as the one I took out) and it came with new hoses and gasket for $97.

Back